Chapter Two ~ The Specials

Chapter Two
The Specials

"You want to know, don't you?"

By the time she arrived, Freddie was already there, as was Maxim who was sitting at the end of the bar. Lottie first made her way over to Maxim who offered her another cigarette noticing the one in her hand was almost finished. His eyes flickered to Freddie. "He shouldn't be going around with his communists," he murmured. He didn't look angry - he never looked angry. He just stated it as a fact.

Lottie sighed. "Maxim, relax."

He smiled. "I am. Now, go on over, he's watching."

"I'll see you later, then," she replied, smiling sweetly.

He raised his glass at her before she left, joining her brother.

"What time do you call this?" He asked, still eyeing Maxim. They didn't get on very well. There was an alpha-male situation going on between them as they were both struggling to be the head of the family. Maxim seemed to have an air of control and authority that went wherever he was - similar to Tommy, Lottie guessed. Whereas Freddie was the family rebel - with his communist beliefs. Lottie on the other hand, knew she could get away with murder and they'd forgive her - they loved her and could never stay angry at her for too long.

Lottie smiled wistfully at him and joined him with four of his other friends. "How'd it go this morning?" She asked.

"It went alright, didn't it, lads?" He replied, chuffed.

The four men cheered proudly. But they soon stopped when the doors opened to reveal Tommy.

Freddie glared at him. "Freddie, stop it," she muttered.

"Stop what? I ain't doing anything," he said, but it wasn't even two seconds till he said, "I'll be back." He stood up from his chair to stand next to Tommy who had joined Maxim at the bar.

Sighing in annoyance, Lottie stood, "Excuse me," she smiled at the men, before following him.

"I'll take a mild," said Freddie to Harry the barkeeper.

"Right," nodded Harry.

Tommy didn't even look towards him. Freddie then took one of the coins Tommy had placed on the table to give to Harry to pay for the drink.

Lottie raised her eyebrows sternly, but Freddie only smiled. Tommy scoffed.

"Cheers, Thomas," said Freddie. "Good health to you."