Chapter Twenty-Three ~ To Act Accordingly

To Act Accordingly

Chapter Twenty-ThreeTo Act Accordingly

"I really wanted that horse"

          Her red lipstick glided across her lips as she stared at her reflection in the mirror. Putting down her lipstick on her dressing table, she looked at her appearance and smiled. She looked beautiful. It was an objective fact. She was wearing a light blue dress with a matching thin scarf that was wrapped elegantly around her neck. Just then, there was the sound of a car horn from outside. Smiling ruefully, she shook her head and went to grab her coat. She chose her nicer coat, as it was a more formal event, which had a line of fur on the hems, enough to keep her warm from the bitter chill. Shrugging it on, she left her apartment.

          "There you are!" Shouted Arthur, his head poking out from the back of the motor.

          "Come on," said Tommy who was standing next to it.

          Lottie walked over to him and smiled. "How do I look?" She asked, giving him a spin. "Respectable enough for the auction?"

          "'Respectable' isn't enough to describe how you look," he replied smoothly.

          "Flattery will get you everywhere, Mr Shelby," she teased before she climbed into the back of the motor. Inside were Arthur, Charlie, and Curly, whilst John was at the steering wheel at the front, Tommy next to him. Lottie greeted them as she sat down. "Practically a chariot," she said.

          "A bloody queen in her own carriage," Arthur joked.

          Lottie nodded. "I like the sound of that."

          "Don't give her any ideas," teased Charlie.

          She narrowed her eyes jokingly at him. "Just you watch," she said, "I'll be a queen of my own empire someday. You'll see."

          "I don't doubt that," he smiled, putting a cigarette to his lips.

          "We need to pick up Michael from Polly's then we'll be on our way," said Arthur. "She still isn't happy about Tommy's plan, though."

          "I'm not surprised," she nodded.

          The motor set off before stopping outside Polly's large house, John hitting the horn loudly. They sat in silence awaiting Polly's response. And sure enough, it came. "This is a respectable fucking neighbourhood!" Polly shouted as she opened the front door to her house. Unable to help themselves, they burst into laughter. They enjoyed winding up Polly while at a safe distance.

          After Polly had scolded John for blaring the horn, she patted Michael's shoulders, a maternal look in her eyes. Lottie watched the two of them and she felt a pang of sadness. Clearing her throat, she buried that emotion and lit another cigarette.