Chapter Twenty-Seven ~ Confessions

Confessions

"You did something that i thought was impossible, you helped me love myself again"

          She was in a fury. Or was she in a mess? She couldn't tell what emotion she was being consumed by. Whether it was fear, anger, terror, heartbreak, she didn't know. Her friend and her lover were taken with an unknown fate. She had all faith in Tommy, and in Maxim who already had contacts in the jails and prisons. But still, fear - or whatever emotion it was - plagued her.

          Maxim was out and so alone Lottie paced in the small living room of the apartment. Smoking stressfully, her ash tray was already over flowing. There were no lipstick stains on them now; it had completely worn off by now.

          She needed to be near someone, to do something, figure out a solution. Grabbing her beret and forcing it down on her loose, messy auburn hair that tumbled down her back instead of sitting in its curls, she rushed out. She wasn't thinking - she couldn't. Her feet her stomping down the cobblestone roads, taking her to an unknown destination.

          Suddenly, she stopped. She knew where she was. She'd spent so much time here, the house that stood before her held so many memories, both good and bad. She couldn't help but stare at the dark door that barricaded her outside. What was she doing here? Her hand lifted to knock. What was she thinking? She had to leave. Now. She knocked twice. There was a muffled sound of shuffling of feet before the door opened. A little boy stood in front of her. "Lottie!" He cried happily.

          Before she could prepare herself, he leapt into her arms and winded, she caught him, unable to help but laugh at the boy. When she settled firmly on the ground, she lent down and admired at him. "Look how you've grown. You're practically a man now," she said affectionately.

          He lifted his head proudly. "I grew this week," he said, "check the wall."

          "I will," she nodded, a soft smirk on her lips.

          "Who is it, Will?" A voice called.

          Lottie lifted her gaze and saw John appear at the bottom of the stairs. His shirt was untucked and he was slightly dishevelled, but still as if he was holding himself firmly together.

          "Lottie," he murmured.

          "John," she replied with a slight smile.

          The boy looked back at his father and said, "I was just telling Lottie how much I've grown this week. She said I was practically a man."

          John walked over and put his hand on his son's head. "I better watch out then," he joked.

          William turned back to Lottie who was now becoming more and more uncertain of why her feet took her to this house. "You never come here anymore," said William.