Chapter Thirty-Three ~ The Changretta's

The Changretta's

Chapter Thirty-ThreeThe Changretta's

"You want to go somewhere?"

The loud crowd was bustling in the orange lit rooms as Lottie stood with Nic. With Polly talking to a man in the end doorway, that business expression on her face, she knew whatever was going on wasn't good. Despite that, Lottie also had more glasses than she could count and work was not exactly what was on her mind. At least it wasn't until Maxim was making his way towards them. "Lottie."

She frowned at his serious expression. "What is it?"

"There's a Russian here."

"What?" She said. "But how? Why?"

He shrugged. "Tommy's furious. They shouldn't have come on his wedding day."

Nic nodded. "Right."

"I'm going to let the others know," said Maxim already turning away.

Lottie nodded. When he had disappeared, she sighed, her shoulders slumping. "There's always something, isn't there."

Nic smiled at her and put his arm around her shoulder. "There's never a dull moment."

She glanced around the crowd. "Nic, you didn't notice where Michael went, do you?"

He shook his head. "No, let's ask Ada or someone."

"Alright," she nodded.

Lottie made her way through the labyrinth of the house, thinking back to Arthur's comment of there needing to be a map. Joining the room where the majority of the guests were standing, she spotted Polly speaking with some other blinders and Ada. She walked over and put a hand on her shoulder. "Hello," she greeted.

"You alright?" Asked Ada, noticing her eyes scanning the crowd.

"Yes," she nodded. "Just looking for Michael."

"Oh, I saw him go into one of the other rooms," she replied.

Lottie rolled her eyes. "That's helpful," she said sarcastically.

Chuckling, she corrected himself. "I think he went down that corridor there," she nodded in the direction, "and went into one of the rooms on the right."

"Thank you," Lottie thanked. "See you later."

Lottie dodged her way through the crowd of ladies fancy dresses and men in their suits and Grace's family in their red uniforms. The states from the various men made her feel superior in a way that only she could explain; she loved that they wanted her, but what she loved more was the fact that they could never get her. Finally, reaching the corridor Ada had nodded towards she walked down, checking the doors on the right, poking her head in. 

The girl from the table was kneeling in front of a coffee table, cocaine on that. "As if I were a whore," she said flirtatiously.

Lottie opened the door widely and stepped in. Their heads looked up when the door opened, looking towards Lottie, who smiled and entered the room, shutting the door behind her. It took everything in her not to roll her eyes. By the cocaine on the table and the look of the girl kneeling beside it, she could tell that she was a complete amateur and had no idea what she was doing. Pathetic. Forcing a smile onto her lips, she said, "Oh, go ahead. Don't mind me, I just wanted a drink."