Chapter Nine ~ Love

Chapter Nine
Love

"I don't know if she loves me back"

Polly's eyes widened and flickered to Lottie, but she didn't look up. "Does this poor girl know you're going to marry her, or are you going to spring it on her all of a sudden?"

"I've already proposed and she said, 'Yes'."

"I think there's a shell about to land and go bang," murmured Tommy, lighting a cigarette.

John took a gulp of his drink. "It's, er... It's Lizzie Stark."

"Bang," whispered Lottie, popping her lips and immediately, the Shelby's began to laugh in unison, snorting. The hurt she felt turned into anger inside of her. They had kissed. She thought that had at least meant something to him. Surely, he must know about her feelings for him. She clenched her jaw, finally looking up at John with cold eyes.

"John, Lizzie Stark is a strong woman," said Polly, giggling, trying to find the right words. "And I'm sure she provides a fine service for her customers."

"I won't hear the word," snapped John. "Understand? Do not use that word."

"And what word is that, John?" Said Lottie. John looked at her for the first time since the meeting began, but she did not waver. She just looked at him void of emotion, but her sharp blue eyes had a hint of cruelty in them. "Whore?"

He just stared back at her hurt, but she would not shake.

"Everybody bloody knows that she is," chuckled Arthur.

"Everybody can go to hell," snapped John, glad to look away from her.

"Prostitute?" Suggested Tommy. "How about that one?"

"Right," spat John, his voice shaking. "I want it known. If anyone calls her a whore again, I will push the barrel of my revolver down their throats, and blow the word back down into their hearts."

Polly shook her head in disbelief. "Men and their cocks never cease to amaze me. John, Lizzie Stark has never did a day's work vertical."

"She's changed!" He shouted, not thinking of Lizzie, but of Lottie.

Something had happened since she had got back from the races. She had never treated him that way. He remembered he was going to ask her to marry him that day - that's why he wanted to find her, but her reaction when they spoke broke his heart before he even got to ask the question. He had gone to the pub, hoping she'd be there so he could try and talk to her again, not knowing that she was in the office. He got drunk and found himself with Lizzie. The next couple days he was with her and finally asked Lizzie the question, believing that she was what he deserved - not Lottie. "All right. People change. Like with religion."