Chapter Three ~ Singing

Chapter Three
Singing

"Trust me, John, you are doing so well, you're the best father your kids could hope for"

          That afternoon, Lottie waited at the street corner where she usually met Hill. Hill was a young police officer who was close to one of the top-ranking officers so he knew practically everything going on at the police station, and she was able to find out everything from him. A smile spread across her lips when he came into view. He smiled back and pressed his lips to hers as she removed his hat. "Alright?" He asked, leaning back slightly.

          "Are you?" She asked raising an eyebrow.

          "Fine apart that the new Inspector is a fool," he replied.

          A cunning smile appeared briefly before she replaced it with a sweet one and she knew at that moment he'd tell her everything she wanted to know.

          Lottie lay with Hill in his bed, her hand tracing his bare chest. "How was work?" She asked conversationally.

          "Did I tell you about the new Inspector being a fool?" He asked.

          "I believe you mentioned it," she chuckled.

          "Well, he is."

          "Why?" Lottie questioned innocently.

          Hill sighed. "He walks in and shouts at us all for being worse than those Blinders and communists and IRA and shit," he explained. "Just cause we sometimes look the other way."

          "But that isn't your fault," said Lottie. "That's how it is in Small Heath."

          "Yeah, well, Inspector Campbell is from Belfast and he thinks he can change it all."

          "Really?"

          "Yeah," he nodded.

          Lottie rolled over and looked up at Hill. "But how? I mean, it must be an impossible job."

          "He's got new Irish men to help him," said Hill. "Bloody taking our jobs."

          She smiled at him with fake sympathy. "You poor thing. What is the Inspector actually like - apart from being a fool?"

          "I think he's too bloody cocky than he should be," Hill muttered.

          "What do you mean?"

          "I mean, he didn't serve in the war - that he was a reserve, and there he is telling us that we're not fighting for our country."

          "You're right, he is a fool," Lottie agreed teasingly.