Chapter Twenty-One ~ Complicated

Chapter Twenty-One
Complicated

Chapter Twenty-OneComplicated

"You're allowed to be happy"

          Tommy took Lottie's arm as they left the Garrison. And she was glad that he did. It nice to have him supporting her - comforting her - despite the fact that he didn't know what was wrong. It had been a while since she had seen the human side to him; the side to him that cared for his family more than he cared for wealth, respectability or pride; the side that made her feel safe, that made her put her trust in him. He hadn't failed her yet and she was sure he never would - not when he looked at her with those blue eyes of his. Those eyes, despite being icy cold, wrapped her in warmth whenever they landed on her.

          They caught up with Arthur and John as they walked down the cobbled road, Arthur already shouting and mocking Digbeth Kid. Lottie couldn't stop the smile that perked on the corner of her lips at him. She loved Arthur because despite all his own inner turmoils - he could make anyone laugh and add happiness into their lives. And John... fuck. She loved him, too.

          As she walked with the three of them, she felt like she'd gone back in time, the only person missing was Freddie. Before the war, he'd have been with them, laughing and joking around. Tommy would be cracking a smile, too.

          "Run for the hills!" Shouted Arthur as they neared the house. "It's the Digbeth Kid!" He and John rushed into the house, still playing as if they were children.

          "Get out of town or I'll shoot your fucking head off!" Said John, pointing his gun at his brother, unable to not laugh at their mocking.

          Tommy looked down at Lottie, the two of them smirking as they entered the house after the boys.

          "Time's up!" said Arthur before making a noise of a gun. But John's smile had faded as his eyes landed on Polly and someone he didn't recognise. "Go down. Go down. John!" But when he didn't respond, Arthur turned, too, only noticing they weren't alone in the room.

          Lottie smiled a small smile when she saw Polly and Michael standing by the table in the centre of the room, Polly looking happy for once, and Michael a little shy, but not overwhelmed. Tommy stepped forward, his face calm, as if he knew that Michael would arrive on his own accord. Noticing that Arthur and John's guns were still in their hands, she walked over and put her hand on Arthur's and gave him a quick meaningful look. Understanding, both he and John put away their weapons, before snickering to themselves like unruly schoolboys.

          Arthur rested his hands on the back of a chair and looked between Polly and Michael. "Alright then, Polly," he said, still snickering. "Who's this?"