Chapter 10

A knock sounded on the door, breaking my chain of thoughts.

"Come in!" I replied as I adjusted the cushions beside me. The door creaked open to reveal Jean with a tray in hand.

"I brought you some medicines. Caitlin has gone to the hospital to attend an emergency case." He said and I nodded. "She has sent some medicines for you." He set the tray on my bedside table and sat on the chair. He handed me the pills and the glass of water.

"May I ask you a question?" He asked.
I nodded.
"How did you reach the forest?"

I almost choked on water. Coughing, I drank till the last drop trying to avoid the question.
"I don't know. " I said honestly. He raised an eyebrow at my answer but said nothing.

After I was done, he took the tray and saw himself out.

But he stopped when he was at the door. What he said next knocked the breath out of me.

"The heart of the forest is sacred. No one is allowed in there. Whoever enters it, is not left alive."

The door closed with a thud after him.

                    ***

It took me some time to realize my surroundings. I was already breathing heavily. Thoughts were storming my brain now.

How could it be?

Maybe that's the reason why I felt so weak. Felt like I was dying in the forest.
But did I reach the heart of the forest?

What's in the heart of the forest?

Why is it sacred?

But sacred places are supposed to calm people and not harm them.

Then why is it harming people?

Is it sacred or cursed?

Sacred or cursed?

Sacred or cursed?

The last thought kept consuming my thoughts.

Now I wanted answers. I had enough questions. Now I needed the answers.

But where will I find them?

Heart of the forest?

I shuddered at the thought.

"Whoever enters is not left alive."

Another chill ran down the spine. I cannot go back into the forest. I don't want to dive into a lion's mouth.

There had to be some other way.

And I'll find the way.

I thought before sleep consumed me.

                   ***

The trees were dark here. Black as coal. The sun was red. The atmosphere hot. Leaves crunched under my barefoot as I walked. The breeze flew by, fondling my hair. My hair was short.

I walked through the dark canopy of trees. Crows sang their song as I went past.

I was in bliss.

Nothing seemed much more beautiful and calm than this.

Something about this place called to me. I felt at peace.