I'm Still Here

Elsa's P.O.V.

The next time I woke up, I was being moved onto another hospital bed.  This time, it was in an operating room.  "We're just going to do a few tests, honey.  We may have to perform a surgery, if that's okay with you."  I heard the voice of a doctor, except it sounded very far away.  I weakly opened my eyes and gave a shaky thumbs up, before closing them again.  I was so tired, I just wanted to sleep.  I heard someone say, "She's not going to make it, we have to send her back to New York immediately.  There's nothing we can do here, but they have better equipment there to keep her alive."

"Very well, call a plane and we'll have an emergency flight."

Suddenly I was lifted up onto a stretcher again and was being rushed out of the hospital.  "What's happening?" I slurred, barely awake.  No one seemed to hear me.  I was loaded on an ambulance and I felt it starting to move.  I shut my eyes, expecting more car sickness.  But, it never came.  I guess I threw up all my food.  I decided to try and sleep.  I drifted into darkness.

The next time I woke up, I was in the air.  In a medical plane.  A nurse and doctor were working on me, even when I was awakening.  I could see that I was in a hospital gown.  I also had on several heart monitors, an oxygen monitor on my finger, and an oxygen mask.  I saw there were bandages all over my wrists, covering all the way up to my collarbone.  I felt a neck brace around my neck.  My chest hurt and my back hurt, and I could tell there were several stitches in them.  But my leg felt the worst, though.  I looked down and saw that it was braced and there was a seperate IV going straight into my leg.  The red line was still there.  "Oh, good, you're awake!" the nurse said brightly, "I was just changing the bandages on your left foot."

How long was I asleep?  I wondered, because I couldn't actually ask the question with this stupid oxygen mask.  "She's slept a solid three hours." the doctor said, who was examining my right leg, "Good for you, Elsa."

"A few hours from now we will be landing in New York!" the nurse told me, "Where Dr. Felix will take over."

Dr. Felix?  I haven't seen him in forever!  "It's such a miracle you're alive, hon." the nurse continued.

Right!  I'm alive!  Do my aunt and uncle know?  Do my friends and sister know?  Does Jack know?  I tried sitting up, but I felt woozy.  "Careful, darling.  Probably best if you just lie down for now." the doctor said gently.

I pointed to my oxygen mask, wanting it off.  The doctor nodded at the nurse and he took it off for me.  "Do...my uncle and aunt k-know?" I slurred, my voice sounding hoarse and strange.

"They're waiting for you when we get off the plane.  They're meeting you at the airport." the doctor said.  

"Sister?" I croaked.

"She knows.  Along with your friend...Mr. Frost, I believe?" the nurse said.

"Okay." I said with a slight nod, my head hurting so much.  

"We should probably inject some more of your medicine." the doctor said aloud, "For your blood poisoning."

The nurse handed her a needle and she put it into my IV.  Once the liquid reached my leg, I felt a sharp searing pain shoot up my leg.  I winced and bit down hard on my lip to prevent from crying out.  "There, it's all done now, Elsa." the doctor said calmly as the pain slowly receded.  She patted me on the shoulder.  "You are a very good paitent."  I gave a small smile, which followed by several coughs.  The nurse quickly put the oxygen mask back on and I sighed in relief, knowing I could breathe again.  "I suggest you rest, you have a long ride ahead of you." the nurse told me with a smile.

The rest of the plane ride was pretty uneventful.  I felt like crap and mostly slept, that was the only real way I found comfort from pain.  I tried watching TV, but I was mostly the news, and I didn't want to learn about stuff I already knew.  They gave me books and magazines to read, which I occupied myself with, them turning the pages for me because my hands would hurt sometimes.  I was almost completely immobile.  Amazing what torture does to you.