VII

I enter the doorway of the house then go see what Richie is doing.
Opening his door I see him playing X-Box with his back turned to me. I take the opportunity to scare him.
He jumps probably a foot off of his bed then turns to give me a frustrated look.
“What was that for?” he asks throwing his controller on the bed.
I try to calm my laughter before talking, “You weren't paying attention to anything but your game, so I took my chance and scared you.”
“You're mean.” Richie pouts.
“I know, but you love me anyways.” I say leaving the room.
“Only because you're family.” I hear him yell after me.
I sigh then walk to the kitchen as my stomach loudly growls. Pulling out a pan, I fill it with water then grab some pasta.
Waiting for the water to boil, I sit on a chair at the kitchen table and pull out my phone. Checking any updates on my friend's social media's I see there is a new post on my best friend Sophia’s account, but it said it was from her family.
The post read: ‘Friends and followers of Sophia, this is her father and I am very sad to inform you guys that there will be no more activity on this account. She recently took her life, due to causes unknown. I wish all of you the best of luck with getting over the loss, and I really hope that it is easier for you than it is me.’
Shock took over my body. I always thought something was happening with her especially with her not talking to me, but I just never knew to what extent. Knowing that my best friend is no longer around is devastating.
I walk over to the stove and turn it off to dump the water out, because after hearing the news I don't feel like eating. I burn my hand in the process by accidentally touching the pot, but I could care less.
I feel numb.
My vision is clouded with tears as I stumble my way into my room not even acknowledging my phone going off.  
I fall on my bed and start bawling.
Never having lost anyone of importance in my life I have no idea what to do. Sophia has been with me through it all, and now I have to go through everything else knowing she's not here.
I must have cried for an hour, if not two until I finally calmed down.
My phone has been going off probably about once every fifteen to twenty minutes since I started cooking. So I sit in the calmness of my room for another five minutes then check my phone.
Of course, I have seven texts from the only person who really texts me anymore, Emeritus.
All of his texts, in order were:
“Hey Allie.”
Are you ok?
“You normally answer fairly quickly, so I'm just wondering.”
“Is everything ok?”
“Did I do something wrong?”
“Please talk to me.”
“I'm going to leave you alone now, just text me whenever you feel like it please. I miss talking to you.”
I check the time and see it's 9pm, but I feel bad for not responding to him, so I call Emeritus to talk to him, instead of explaining what was happening through text.
The phone rings a few times ‘till finally he picks up.
“Allie?” He asks.
“Yep, it's me.” I say, sadness lacing my tone.
He must have noticed my tone because what he says next doesn't surprise me in the least.
“Oh, love, what's wrong?”
I feel tears coming again and try holding them back but fail, “M-my friend. She's gone.”
“Easy now. I know this might be tough for you to go through. I really wish I could help and comfort you.”
There is mumbling on the Emeritus’ side of the call then he speaks up again.
“Look, I know it's late, but how about I take you to the mall so we could hang out and get your mind off of things?”
“Sounds good. I guess I'll see you in a bit. Give a text when you're here.”
“Will do. Bye Allie.”
“Bye.”
With that there's a click and the call is ended. I fix myself up a bit making it so I look at least somewhat presentable even though I have puffy red eyes.
I leave my room then look for Dad. He's seated in the kitchen drinking a beer.
“Hey Dad.” I say in a hushed tone. “I’m going to be out with a friend tonight to get my mind off of things, so I don't know when I'll be back.”
“A friend, huh?” Dad says raising his eyebrows. “Well, just be safe.”
“I will.” I kiss him on the cheek then walk out.
Figuring Emeritus will be here soon I grab my jacket, lock the door to the house then sit outside and wait for Emeritus to show up.
A black Camaro pulls into my driveway, I immediately recognize it as Emeritus’ car.
I stand up, pulling my jacket on then walk closer to the car. He beats me to where I am and pulls me into a hug.
I feel myself to start crying again, and he comforts me.
“Shh, it's ok darling, everything is going to be ok.” He speaks as he smooths out my hair.
“Everything isn’t going to be ok. I miss my friend.” I say with a shaky voice.
“I'm sure you do. Come on,” Emeritus says leading me to his car, “let's go to the mall.”
I get in the passenger side of the car and lean my head back against the headrest letting out a big sigh.
Once Emeritus was in the car and started to drive I began to speak, “Today was going perfect, with my family breakfast and hanging out with you for the movie, and then it all had to go to shit.”
Emeritus rests his hand on my knee, “I wish I had words of wisdom for you, but I don't.”
“I wasn't really expecting something great in response anyways. I more just wanted to say that and get it out.”
He hums in acknowledgement.
The rest of the car ride to the mall is quiet excluding the soft lull of the radio.
I look out the window and see the bright lights of the mall.
E then finds us a parking space close to the entrance then shuts off the car.
“We're here.” I snap out of my gaze at the sound of his voice then unbuckle my seatbelt.
E then gets out of his side of the car and as I try reaching for my door handle, he opens the door for me.
I nod in his direction and give a small thanks as he pulls me up from my seat and wraps his arm around me. I lean into his embrace and we walk into the mall.
As we enter the building Emeritus leans down to my ear and whispers, “Have I ever told you that the moonlight makes you look gorgeous? I mean you're gorgeous anyways, but you know.’
I smile while blushing and laugh, “I don't really believe that, but thanks.”
“Anytime, doll. So what store do you want to go into first?” E asks.
“Hot topic?” I ask with an excited undertone to my voice.
“If that's what you want, sure.” He smiles as I guide him to the store.
While in there I buy a few t-shirts, one of which was a Ghost one that Emeritus practically begged me to get.
After finishing out Hot Topic adventure we walk over to Spencer's. I'm really worried how this is going to go, especially with Emeritus’ dirty mind.
Lets just hope he doesn't go to the back of the store.
We walk in and are greeted with the familiar *ding* that signals new customers walking in. I immediately walk over to their Nightmare Before Christmas merch. E joins me in fangirling over the stuff.
The only thing that we buy in here is matching tea mugs. But before we left Papa notices the things in the back of the store.
“Allie, come on, we haven't been back here yet.” He says dragging me to the back of the store.
“Oh god, kill me now.” I mumble as I follow him.
“What was that?” he asks, hearing me.
“Nothing.” He just shrugs me off then goes to see what the “glory” the back has.
This mall adventure so far has definitely gotten my mind off of what happened today.