Chapter 23

Back to happy stuff :) mostly...

Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep...

Phil blinked his eyes open and flinched. Dan was sitting near him and he tensed up, but then he felt him squeeze his hand, and he relaxed a little. Dan was okay now.

"Where am I?" He asked and Dan gently moved some of his fringe from his face, Phil holding his breath but let it out when he felt the action. It was sort of nice. Comfort was nice. He just wished he didn't have to remind himself.

"Hospital," Dan told him gently and Phil's eyes widened.

"What? Do they know? Dan what have you told them Dan-"

"Phil calm down, everything is okay. You haven't been conscious to tell them what has happened so you can choose to tell them the truth or not when they ask. I'll go along with what you say. I've just told them that I found you at the park because you had been missing and then called the ambulance. In reality the pain got too much for you and you nearly fell down the stairs. I had to carry you and then called for them when I got you to the gates," Dan explained and Phil closed his eyes.

"Have you been here all this time?" Phil asked and Dan nodded.

"I didn't let go of your hand in the ambulance, or when they put you here," Dan said and Phil's lips twitched upwards slightly.

"That's good," he said, more to himself. "What's wrong with me?" He asked, trying to stop his mind picking every little detail about him.

"You ankle is badly sprained and you'll have to have crutches. The rest are cuts and bruises which they have disinfected. They didn't mention that some of them looked old," Dan explained and Phil closed his eyes and lay back.

"Do Ellie and Tim know?"

"They're in the canteen,"

"Okay. When will people come to talk to me?" Phil asked and Dan shrugged.

"I don't know," Dan said and Phil squeezed his hand.

"How long was I unconscious for?"

"A few hours," Dan said.

"At least I slept," Phil said and Dan gently kissed the back of his hand. Phil sighed.

"Was that okay?" Dan asked and Phil nodded.

"T'was nice." Phil mumbled. But maybe that was because he was too tired to think properly. And heavily dosed up on painkillers.

The curtain around them twitched and a nurse popped her head around.

"Hello dear, how're you doing?" She asked.

"I'm okay," Phil said and yawned.

"Well we need you to tell us what happened but you should be able to go home soon," she said and Phil nodded. "Your brother has been a sweetheart and told us what he knows, but we need to know what happened to you for a reference,"

"Okay." He breathed. "What happened was that I was mugged. I was going out to buy some snacks for me and Dan and they tried to mug me. They took my money but luckily I didn't have my phone on me so that's safe. But I meant I couldn't call Dan. But that didn't matter so much because they beat me up for not having much and left me unconscious. I'm really lucky Dan found me,"

"You were dear," she said. "However some of your bruises looked old. Why is that?" She asked and Phil took a deep breath to calm his nerves.

"Rugby," Phil replied and she smiled.

"Ah my son plays rugby, he loves it. I don't understand the appeal but if it makes him happy," she said, noting down on her clipboard.

"Okay dear that's all done. You'll be able to leave soon, I'll leave crutches for you outside the door for your leg. I just need to go and check you out." She said and left the room.