chapter 25

"Whatever Dan has said, it's not true," Phil said quickly, turning back, his eyes wide with fear.

"Shush Phil it's okay. We believe you," Ellie said calmly, putting her hand on Phil's knee as a form of comfort while Dan kept hovering nervously by the door. But Phil could barely believe them and let Ellie's hand drop away, feeling himself shake.

"Another student has confirmed what Dan has said, apparently it's been going on for years. Did you tell anyone about this before?" The new teacher asked and Phil shivered. He could still get out of this.

"None of this is going on, I don't know what you're talking about," he tried to say but the head teacher shook his head.

"Phil, we believe you and you will not be punished for this. It will make you safe. You can tell us the truth," He said gently and Phil nodded, managing to take a deep breath before he spoke, his voice wavering. They weren't going to hurt him.

"I did when it first started in year nine when I moved here, but the head teacher said I just wanted attention and none of the other teachers cared," Phil mumbled, looking at the floor, focussing on his quickened heartbeat.

"I will have a word around the staff room. Phil, Daniel has told us that you don't want to move schools because you fear it will interfear in what you've learnt for your GCSE's so far. Is that true?"

"Yes," Phil said quietly and saw Dan's feet move beside his chair, but he didn't touch him. He must be able to tell Phil was mad at him and that contact was probably a bad idea if he wanted to keep all of his body parts. He just felt so betrayed. Dan hadn't even said he was going to tell anyone. Didn't give him warning, and now he was panicking.

But it was for the best. Please see it this way Phil. And if you don't... At least you'll be safe now.

"Well, we can set you up in the library and arrange a private teacher to come and teach you personally so you are away from any mean remarks and feel safer in this environment. Does this sound like a good idea?" The head teacher asked him and he nodded, looking up at the kind faced man. He looked in his early thirties, a lot younger than their previous Head which made Phil feel a little more relaxed. He was definitely more up to date with how things had changed in the world. "Okay good. Now that's covered-" The phone on his desk buzzed and he pressed the button.

Wait it had been that simple? He... What?

"Excuse me Sir, Jason is here to see you," the secretary's voice said and he smiled.

"Send him in, thank you."

The door clicked and Jason walked in and he flashed Phil a small smile which Phil returned to him, even if he was still a little scared. But at least he wasn't freaking out. He was a little worried at how calm he was being.

He was too scared to be alone with Dan though. At least just yet.

"Phil, Jason is the one who confirmed what Daniel had told us. He used to be part of your attack group-"

"Really?" Ellie said, sending a harsh look his way and Phil shook his head at her.

"No Ellie it's okay. He's done nothing wrong, he's helped me," Phil said and she frowned but relaxed back into her seat again.

"Anyway, he told us that you are now friends but he is too scared to get away from the group he is in, in case they attack him as well. He will be joining you in the library while you do your studies because of this," Mr Collins said. Phil gave Jason a bigger smile who did a goofy thumbs up. "I'm guessing that sounds a good plan," he said chuckling.

"Yeah, it does," Phil said, brightening up and giving an actual smile. "Sir, not to be rude but when did you become the Head teacher?" he asked.

"Last Thursday was my official start. I gave an assembly, were you not there?" he asked and Phil bit his lip and shook his head shamefully.