Chapter Fifty-Two: Let Battle Commence!

It was unbelievable, the entire situation. A joyous occasion turned into a disaster. After the appearance of the Black Knight all other celebrations had been cancelled whilst Uther and his council met to discuss the situation - Arthur included. Merlyn was waiting anxiously back in her chambers for any news. As she sat there waiting, Merlyn kept replaying the scene over and over again in her head and she just couldn't believe it. She didn't understand what was going on. It had been clear that Uther knew the knight but had failed to admit it, Merlyn could only imagine why that was the case. What did Uther have to hide?

Merlyn was also concerned about the fact that Sir Owain had picked up the gauntlet. No one knew anything about this knight (well no one was speaking) and Sir Owain had only just finished training; he had never actually been in a fight where it was your life or theirs. He was young and naive which was worrying to say the least. Meanwhile this Black Knight seemed to be experienced if his armour was anything to go by - the numerous slashes and dents the armour wore. Everyone was worried for Owain: Arthur, Merlyn, Morgana even Uther. They all had the sickening feeling that he stood no chance against the knight.

Suddenly the chamber doors opened and Gaius walked in his face grim. That was never good. Gaius seemed to be completely oblivious to Merlyn's stare as she watched him begin to boil a pot full of some concoction he had made earlier.

"Gaius?" Merlyn softly called hoping not to frighten the older man. Gaius jumped but only slightly. Turning around he found Merlyn leaning against the wall to the steps of her chamber.

"My dear, I apologise I did not see you there" he said with a tired smile.

"That's alright. It's been an eventful day" Merlyn replied before she brought up the topic everyone was whispering about. "Have you ever seen this Black Knight before?" Merlyn noticed the way that Gaius immediately stiffened up at the question. It took some time before Gaius answered Merlyn, though Merlyn did not rush him.

"I don't believe so" Gaius answered, avoiding eye contact with the witch. Well, that was a lie.

"You didn't recognize his crest?" Merlyn probed. She didn't like the fact her mentor was lying to her. What possible purpose could he have to lie?

"Crest?" Gaius questioned.

"Which house is it?" Merlyn asked, now she knew something was wrong. Gaius was a smart individual and he knew exactly what a crest was - why was he playing dumb?

"I'm not sure. I didn't see it that clearly" Gaius answered quickly as he began adding random ingredients to his pot of boiling liquid, his wrinkled fingers twitching. Merlyn had to get to the bottom of this, if Gaius was going to avoid everything Merlyn was going to keep going on at him until he slipped.

"But he's not someone you'd forget in a hurry, is he?" Merlyn commented slyly her eyes never leaving Gaius' face.

"No."

"So you don't think he's from around here?" Merlyn asked.

"That would seem likely" Gaius replied giving nothing else away. This was ridiculous.

"Then what's he doing here?" Merlyn pushed. Finally the physician had gotten sick of Merlyn's interrogation.

"Merlin, your faith in my all-seeing knowledge is both touching and wholly misplaced" Gaius spoke as he turned to face her. Merlyn wasn't an idiot she knew that Gaius didn't have all the answers but she also knew when he did. Now was one of those times but Gaius was just not telling her. "Maybe if you've finished your work, you could go to bed and leave me to finish mine." Merlyn knew she couldn't push any further that day, it was useless to try. He wouldn't be telling her. Merlyn knew the Black Knight was from around Camelot, she knew Gaius knew the crest, she knew that Gaius had seen this knight before and more importantly she believed that Gaius had some inkling to why the knight had arrived in Camelot. But Merlyn was also smart enough to know that she wouldn't get any more from the physician.