Chapter Thirty-Seven: Goodbye Uther Pendragon

Hi readers! Just wanted to say a quick thank you for all the votes and comments - whilst I do not always respond to comments I do always read them and I am very glad to hear that you all like my book!!! Please continue to vote and comment.

Right, back to why you are all here ... here's the final part of Remedy to Cure All Ills!

****************

Merlyn had finally heard along the grape vine what had happened to Gaius and she had been completely floored by it. Immediately, she had dropped what she had been doing and raced to Gaius' chambers. She didn't understand what was going on. Crashing into Gaius' chambers Merlyn found a sight she couldn't believe she was witnessing.

"Gaius?" Even Merlyn heard the tremor in her voice. Gaius was stood before her packing his belongings. This wasn't right. "Wh-what are you doing?"

"I am leaving, my dear" Gaius said as he placed another one of his items into a wooden box.

"B-But ..." Merlyn struggled for words as she made her way to Gaius' side. "Uther cannot do this to you. You tried to save Morgana."

"Uther's not to blame" Gaius said, immediately defending his king. And for once Gaius was right to defend Uther. However, Merlyn caught onto the second meaning behind Gaius' words; if it wasn't Uther than who was it?

"This is Edwin's doing, isn't it?" Merlyn suddenly asked. It made sense if it was him and by the look on Gaius' face it seemed that Merlyn had hit the nail on the head. "I'm gonna kill him." Gaius' eyes widened at Merlyn's words and balled fists. She was so loyal and protective ... but he couldn't allow her to put herself in harm's way for him.

"No, you mustn't do that, you mustn't do anything" Gaius stressed. Merlyn sighed in confusion, why couldn't she? She wasn't actually planning on killing him.

"I can't stand by and do nothing!" Merlyn replied with a swing of her arms.

"Uther's right. It's time I stepped down. I cannot stay when there's no longer a use for me" Gaius calmly explained though the words had anything but a calming effect on Merlyn.

"You're not leaving" she demanded, there was no question about it. Gaius took a deep breath, he didn't want to hurt her but he was leaving.

"I believe it's for the best" Gaius spoke as he continued packing, he couldn't look at the girl it would be too difficult. Silence filled the room, a silence that was deafening.

"Then I will come with you." Gaius was shocked by the words. His head snapped around to Merlyn who stood before him with a fierce look in her eyes. He couldn't believe what she was willing to give up for him.

"Merlyn, you're like a daughter to me, I never expected such a blessing so late in life" Gaius admitted as he walked towards her and gently grasped her arms.

"And you are more than a father to me" Merlyn whispered as tears began to pool in her eyes.

"Then, as a father, I must tell you, you must remain here" Gaius said, emotion thick in his voice, "Camelot is where you belong."

"But you belong here too" Merlyn gasped as she suddenly hugged him. If she held onto him he couldn't leave, even though she could tell he would.

"Not anymore" Gaius said as he slowly pulled out of the hug and locked his eyes on Merlyn's, "Merlyn, you must promise me you will not waste your gifts." At the mention of her powers, tears began to escape the corner of her eyes. She only knew as much as she did because of Gaius.