Chapter Fifty-Six: Goodbye

Placing her quill to the parchment, Merlyn signed the bottom of the letter whilst wax bubbled away above a flame in front of her. Picking up the small metal spoon filled with melted wax, Merlyn poured it over the many pages of folded paper to seal it shut. Once the wax had harden, Merlyn flipped the paper in front of her and quickly wrote 'Galahad, Ealdor' on the front. Merlyn knew the post to Essetir (where Ealdor was settled) was set to go out that morning so Merlyn had to hurry to catch the messenger. With the letter ready to go, Merlyn made her way into the Lower Town.

As usual the place was bustling with people left, right and centre; people trading goods, browsing the various objects on sale, everyone just living their lives. Making her way through the town, Merlyn greeted many people who she had gotten to know over the months. However, amongst the crowd Merlyn suddenly spotted a face she recognised.

"Mother?" Merlyn called out in surprise. The older woman dressed in her only dress with her the most of her dark brown hair hidden by her green head scarf, smiled brightly at the sight of her daughter.

"Merlyn" Hunith answered in relief. Her mother raced towards her, quickly wrapping her in a hug. Merlyn smiled widely as she felt her mother's familiar comfortable arms wrap around her. She immediately felt safe and protected. As the two women pulled back, Merlyn's smile faded and a look of worry and angry took over her face. Her mother's right eye was swollen and bruised, the colours standing out against her pale skin.

"What happened? Who did this to you?" Merlyn asked as she brought her hand up to study her mother's black eye. Someone had hit her mother!

"Merlyn-" Hunith started but Merlyn recognised that tone of voice. Everything was not fine and Merlyn would not have her mother claim it was.

"Mother."

"A man named Kanen" Hunith answered, she couldn't really hide this from Merlyn so there was no point in trying. "He has been stealing all our food. We will starve if he takes anymore". Merlyn sighed in frustration. She knew about men like Kanen, hell she used to frighten them out of Ealdor when she was younger and didn't understand that she had to hide her magic better. Men like Kanen were vicious, heartless fools who demanded everything. "I know it is unlikely but I was hoping that perhaps Camelot may be able to help in some way." Now that surprised Merlyn. Her mother had to be desperate to come to ask the Camelot king for help. How bad was this man?

~8~

"The winters are harsh in Ealdor, and there are many children. Some of them just won't be strong enough to survive. We barely have enough food as it is, and if Kanen takes our harvest, our children won't live to see another summer" Hunith explained in the throne room where Arthur had managed to get an audience with the king. Uther and his court had listened to Hunith's words, had listened to her plea for help but everyone could see immediately before he even spoke that Uther had decided against helping. "Please, we need your help."

"Ealdor is in Cenred's kingdom. Your safety is his responsibility" Uther replied sharply, it didn't seem to him that he had any obligation to help Ealdor. He acted as if the conversation was a waste of time.

"We've appealed to our King, but he cares little for the outlying regions" Hunith answered nervously ringing her hands together. She didn't know what she was going to do if Uther wouldn't help. "You're our only hope." For a while the king sat silently, seemingly contemplating his position but ultimately his opinion did not change.

"I have the deepest sympathy for you and would have this barbarian wiped off the face of the earth" Uther started.

"You'll help us?" Hunith asked with hope. Merlyn frowned; Uther had purposefully given her false hope.