Chapter Seventy: A Sleeping Draught

This just couldn't be. How could this be? Merlyn wept over Arthur as she clung onto his chainmail. This wasn't how it was suppose to end. Arthur had a legend to fulfil, he had to reunited Albion, he had be the greatest king Camelot had ever seen ... she was supposed to keep him safe, alive. And she had failed. She had doomed Albion.

"Arthur w-wake u-up" Merlyn muttered  as she gently ran her fingers across his face but again she got no reply. Looking up and over at Anhora she saw the wise man watching the pair of them intently. "Please. Please! Just let me take his place!"

"This was Arthur's test, not yours" Anhora said.

"You've killed him ... I was meant to protect him" Merlyn whispered as tears ran down her face, one after another.

"He is not dead" Anhora said calmly. Merlyn felt the wind get knocked out of her upon his revelation. "He's merely consumed a sleeping draught. He will come round shortly." He wasn't dead?

"What?" Merlyn muttered barely above a whisper.

"A unicorn is pure of heart. If you kill one, you must make amends by proving that you also are pure of heart" Anhora explained. "Arthur was willing to sacrifice his life to save yours. He has proven what is truly in his heart." Merlyn smiled at the old man's words. She always knew Arthur was an amazing man and she had never thought different. Looking back down at Arthur she gave a teary chuckle. Merlyn ran her fingers through Arthur's hair as she lifted her gaze back to Anhora. "The curse will be lifted."

This time Merlyn's tears were of utter joy. With a sigh of relief, Merlyn lowered her head to touch Arthur's. Everything was going to be ok; Arthur had done it.

~8~

Arthur wasn't sure what to expect. It seemed everyone had a different thought on what happened when you died. However Arthur had never expected to feel so drowsy. It was like he was waking up on a very uncomfortable, rock bed.

The last thing he could remember was golden eyes, beautiful glowing irises that belonged to Merlyn. It was a sobering thought. She was alive and well but she was also living whilst he was dead, god only knows how long it would be before he saw her again.

Suddenly, Arthur could hear her voice. Why on earth could he hear her? Slowly, Arthur began to peel his heavy eyelids open, only to be blinded by the bright white light of the beach. Groaning Arthur tried to lift his arm to cover his face but it took great effort.

"Merlyn?" Arthur murmured, completely confused as to why he could see the girl above him. Why the hell was she above him? "Wha-?"

"It's ok, you're ok, you just drank a sleeping draught" Merlyn explained as she brushed Arthur's hair out of his eyes. The prince frowned at Merlyn's words confused by everything that was happening; a sleeping draught, he drank a sleeping draught? Seeing that Arthur was clearly confused still Merlyn continued her explanation. "A unicorn is pure of heart. You proved that you are also pure of heart as you were willing to give your life for mine. The curse will be lifted ... you did it!"

The words slowly sunk into Arthur's mind. He had done it, Camelot was safe, the curse was lifted. Pushing himself up into a sitting position Arthur looked around at the beach. The table had disappeared as had the goblets and Anhora. Turning back to face Merlyn he found her smiling brightly but she also had tears staining her face. She'd been crying. Uncharacteristically, Arthur leaned forward and pulled Merlyn into a much needed hug. Merlyn didn't question the action she just returned the hug tightly. They were both ok, Camelot was ok. Everything had worked out.

The pair pulled back slightly and tested their foreheads against each other's as they took a moment of silence to recuperate.

"Thank the gods" Arthur said his eyes closed in relief. Merlyn chuckled just as she lifted her hand to cup his cheek. He was there with her, living, breathing, warm ... alive. She would later kill him for putting her life before his own but in that moment she just wanted to bathe in the fact he was alive.

~8~

Soon enough Arthur and Merlyn were riding their way into a bustling Camelot. Everyone was joyously carrying baskets of food and buckets of water. Their food was back! Arthur and Merlyn turned to look at each other a great smile on their faces; the curse was truly lifted. Quickly the pair dismounted just as Gaius made his way towards them a glad smile on his face.

"Merlyn, Arthur, there is good news!" He announced as Arthur and Merlyn stopped in front of him. Merlyn stepped forward and gave the old man a hug and kiss on the cheek in greeting before he continued. "The crops are growing once again. They are bringing in the harvest!" Merlyn was shocked by how fast everything had turned around, then again it was magic.

"Is this you're doing? Is the sorcerer dead?" the king's voice came from behind them. Gaius walked off whilst Arthur and Merlyn turned to face the king who was smiling once again. Merlyn of course curtseyed as was expected. Arthur gave Merlyn a knowing side glance before he looked back to his father. He would not lie to his father but he would not tell the truth either.

"He won't be troubling us anymore" Arthur answered simply and truthfully - Arthur was never killing a unicorn again that was for sure.

"Good, make sure the grain reserves are re-stocked" Uther ordered after he clapped his son on the shoulder. He was clearly proud of his son's actions and for once Arthur did not want the honour.

"I'll see to it" Arthur replied as the king left. Arthur scanned the crowds and surveyed the people, the joy ... the life. Suddenly, Arthur knew that he had to do something, something in particular. Something for the unicorn he had slaughtered.Turning towards Merlyn, Arthur grabbed her attention. "There's something we must do first."

~8~

In the middle of the woods, in the exact spot that Arthur had taken the unicorn's life, Arthur had built a small burial mound out of stones. Carefully, Arthur placed the beautiful white horn of the unicorn into the mound before he wrapped it in the red cloth he brought it in and started covering the horn with stones.

"I should never have ended your life. I'm sorry" Arthur said with great sincerity. He truly was sorry for killing the unicorn, and it had nothing to do with the fact that his actions had caused Camelot to almost fall. Merlyn softly knelt beside Arthur and began helping him to bury the unicorn with honour.

Suddenly, feeling as if she had to Merlyn stopped her actions and looked up into the forest. The last time she had felt such a pull she had found herself staring at Anhora but this time. It was not a man she saw but something breathtaking.

"Arthur..."

Hearing his name Arthur lifted his head up to stare at Merlyn only to find her transfixed with something in front of them. Looking in the same direction as Merlyn, Arthur found himself staring at a beautiful sight. One he had not appreciated before.

The pure white hide of a unicorn stood out along the deep forest. The great beast with its shimmering, twirling horn stared at Arthur. The creature was truly a beauty. Slowly the creature walked over to them, more specifically Merlyn who it gazed at a moment before it rested its nose into her hand. Merlyn felt a wave of magic wash over her, the guilt and anger she had felt over the last few days washed away with it. In that moment Merlyn realised why she had been so angry at Arthur at times - it was because the unicorn had been influencing her, not only her memories but her actions. With nothing more said, the unicorn walked off leaving both Merlyn and Arthur staring after it with wonder...

When he who kills a unicorn proves himself to be pure of heart, the unicorn will live again.