Chapter Fifty-Three: An Unexpected Turn Of Events

Arthur was mad to say the least. He had just watched one of his knights die only for him then to witness another place his head on the chopping block. Arthur didn't understand why his father had stopped him from grabbing the gauntlet; Uther was always the first one to state that Arthur had to prove himself to his kingdom. That Arthur had to be willing to do the acts that his knights performed, he should be leading by example and from the front. Yet here his father had stopped him and he wanted to know why.

Arthur was hot on the heels of his father who was practically one stride away from running away from his son. Every step he took billowed his red cloak out behind him. Why was his father running away? Eventually Uther turned into the council chambers where Arthur finally caught up with him and asked the burning question.

"Why did you stop me?!"

"We have to give our knights the chance to prove themselves" Uther immediately answers, not even stopping to look back at his son.

"Have you seen how this stranger fights?!" Arthur argued quickly preventing Uther from ending the conversation before it properly began, though the king tried.

"And Sir Pellinor is more than a match for him."

"He's not recovered from the wounds he suffered at Othanden" Arthur exclaimed. Pellinor was a great knight, great swordsman, but it was unfair for him to fight when he was not at his best. It gave the Black Knight an advantage that they did not need him having.

"I can't help that" Uther grimly replied finally stopping his brisk walk. He turned around to face his son who looked at him in disbelief. Everyone knew that the king could stop the fight regardless of the Code; it was just not common practice - no need to upset the knights and cause a revolt.

"So you send him to his death?" Arthur asked in disgust. How could he do this?

"It was his choice to take up the gauntlet" Uther argued back before he turned and left, ending the conversation. "I am not to blame." Arthur watched as his father left. It was bloody typical of the king, to pass the blame off of himself. In Arthur's eyes, whatever happened tomorrow was on Uther's head, though the prince doubted Uther cared.

~8~

The burial vaults were cold and lifeless - which was a good thing but it didn't make Merlyn comfortable. Gaius had led Merlyn to the crypts in silence which caused Merlyn's worry to grow. First he makes the astounding suggestion that the Black Knight is not dead and then he drags her to the crypts - Merlyn wasn't exactly pleased. The pair stood at the top of the steps that led all the way down to the dead.

"Are you sure we should be doing this?" Merlyn asked. The only reason they could be going to the crypts would be to check out a grave. Merlyn wasn't sure how she felt about robbing a tomb, disrupting the rest of the dead.

"You're not scared, are you?" Gaius teased. Merlyn gasped in fake shock at the accusation. She loved these moments with her mentor.

"No, I love old crypts. I wouldn't be seen dead anywhere else" Merlyn commented with a smirk. Gaius only give the young witch a glare at her sarcastic comment - it was a comment that only Merlyn would make. Suddenly, the doors to the crypts slammed shut behind them, plunging the pair into darkness.

"Must've been a gust of wind" Gaius explained logically, however, that didn't bring any more light into the crypts.

"We should've brought a torch" Merlyn replied as she scanned the dark shapes for the unlit torches that had lined the walls. Lifting her hand up Merlyn pictured the wooden torch with the cloth bound on the end. "Leohtbora." With her eyes glowing gold, fire ignited at the end of the torch. The torch burned brightly filling the space with light and allowing Merlyn and Gaius to see one another.