Chapter Forty-Eight: Sneaking Around

Even with the dragon's haunting words following Merlyn, she was still determined to help the boy. Kilgharrah had given Merlyn no reason as to why she should not trust the boy so Merlyn was going to help. Mordred had healed and recovered nicely over the last two days but as he recovered Camelot had become more and more dangerous for him. Morgana, Gwen and Merlyn had to get Mordred out of the city sooner rather than later. They had concocted a plan that had to be followed out tonight.

With the heavy guard patrols that were a constant thing of late, getting Mordred out of the castle was going to be the trickiest part. If they could get him out undetected then it would be practically smooth sailing getting him out of the lower town and to his people. Since the guards were searching everyone entering or leaving the castle to the lower town Merlyn had suggested taking Mordred out through the secret door in the armoury. Morgana had immediately insisted that she would smuggle the boy out of the castle which surprised both Gwen and Merlyn. However, the Lady was quite insistent. There was only one snag in their plan, that secret door needed a key, a key that hung off Arthur's belt. A key that Merlyn was in charge of getting. How on earth she was supposed to get a key off of Arthur's belt when the prince had to look after many of the castle's important keys was a mystery to Merlyn -  it was lucky Merlyn knew which key was needed for the secret door.

The servant had spent the majority of the day trying to get the key but she just couldn't get close enough to get it without it being weird. She had finally gotten the key when Arthur had been eating his dinner, when Arthur's attention was on food a circus could go by and he wouldn't pay attention. So Merlyn was easily able to grab the key. Now it was just a case of getting the key to Morgana and Morgana getting Mordred out of the castle, out of the lower town and into the forest.

~8~

After announcing herself, Merlyn waited for Gwen to open the door. Soon enough the dark haired servant opened the door and ushered Merlyn inside. Merlyn entered the tense chamber to find Morgana dressed in some of Gwen's clothing to disguise her identity as well as a red cloak that was tied around her shoulders to conceal her face. A Lady would never wear clothes of a low quality so the disguise was perfect. Morgana was stood in front of Mordred who was dressed in his own cloak again. Merlyn watched as Morgana crouched down to the boy's height and gave him an encouraging smile before promising the boy something she could not guarantee.

"We're going to get you out of Camelot. I won't let anything bad happen to you. I promise." Merlyn and Gwen both looked at one another in worry. Morgana was strangely and strongly attached to the boy and there was a high chance that Morgana and Mordred would get caught. If his happened neither servant knew how Morgana was going to react. Looking out of Morgana's window Merlyn noticed that the night had truly settled in. It was time to execute the plan.

"Are you ready?" Merlyn asked gaining the Lady's attention. Morgana lifted her gaze to the servant and nodded.

"Did you get the keys?" Morgana asked, it was the last thing that they needed and it was the most important part.

"Yeah" Merlyn replied handing the key over to the Lady. "Err, the door is behind the large blue and white shield at the far end of the armoury." It was probably best Morgana knew where she was going.

"Are you sure you want to do this alone?" Gwen questioned, worried about her mistress and the risk she was taking.

"There's no point in all of us risking our lives" Morgana argued sensibly, whilst reminding everyone of the death penalty that would most likely be the consequence if they were caught.

"What about you?" Merlyn asked, as servants the law would come down harder on them but Morgana would not come out of this unscathed if she was caught.

"I'm the King's ward. I'll take my chances" she insisted. "I couldn't live with myself if anything happened to either of you. We must go." Reaching down the Lady quickly clasped Mordred's hand in hers and led him to her chamber door where Gwen and Merlyn said their goodbyes and good lucks. As they went to leave Mordred locked eyes with Merlyn.

"Goodbye, Emrys" Mordred said telepathically before he and Morgana left the safety of her chambers. Merlyn and Gwen could only hope the plan worked and that they were not caught.

~8~

Waiting for the guards to pass Morgana held Mordred close to her at the top of her stairs. Once they had gone, Morgana led the boy down the spiral staircase and through the castle. Unfortunately, a serving maid spotted the two cloaked figures sneaking through the castle and went to report it immediately. Oblivious to the danger that was coming for them, Morgana and Mordred made their way to the armoury which thankfully was empty. Quickly, the Lady found the large shield that concealed a door that was locked tight. Grabbing the key that Merlyn had gotten them, Morgana unlocked the door and was relieved to find the long tunnel that led directly into the lower town. Double checking the coast was clear Morgana lifted Mordred into the tunnel before following him and relocking the door behind them.

Soon enough Mordred and Morgana were in the lower town racing through the empty area. The warning bells had been sounded when they were half to the lower town; Mordred had tightened his grip of Morgana scared of being caught. As the pair raced through the lower town, Morgana spotted Arthur and his guards searching the lower town. They had moved fast. Knowing they would be spotted otherwise Morgana grasped Mordred's arm and tugged him into a inner market building that had many stalls lining the walls, Morgana picked a random stall and hid behind a rough hide curtain that was hanging up.

"Fan out." Arthur's voice echoed through the small building. Morgana held the boy close; worried that Arthur would find them. He had many knights with him who were all searching for them. Morgana tried to keep an eye on all of the guards, if they could just stay hidden. As she scanned the area she suddenly realised that the entrance that they had all came through was clear. No guards or Arthur in sight. With not much thought, Morgana grabbed Mordred's hand and made a dash for it. Luckily they somehow got passed everyone in the inner market; they were so close to freedom.

However, as they went to run through the door a line of guards were waiting. The guards immediately spotted her and Mordred leading to their cries of warning to Arthur. Morgana gasped in shock and pulled Mordred close to her, his back against her stomach. She knew they couldn't run back as Arthur and his guards were behind them. They were cornered.

Placing his sword against the culprit's back, Arthur prayed like he never prayed before. The person helping the boy was a female that much was clear. He just prayed that this female wasn't a certain witch he knew.

"Halt or I'll run you through. Show yourself" he commanded. Slowly, the person turned and the flames of the torches showed the face of the woman. It was Morgana!

"Let him go. I beg you. He's just a child" Morgana pleaded. Arthur looked at the boy before looking towards Morgana; he wanted to, gods did he want to, but as his eyes moved to the guards who were watching him he knew he couldn't. He couldn't release them when they were so many witnesses.

For a moment Morgana thought Arthur would let them go but she saw his eyes look towards the guards and she knew too that he couldn't let them go, her grip tightened on Mordred as Arthur said the dreaded words

"Restrain them."