Chapter Fifty-Five: No Mortal Weapon

I just wanted to say thank you for all the lovely comments and votes (91K reads and 3K votes!!!) I've been receiving. I'm also glad you like my plot twists - I've still got quite a few twists left for this season.

Here is the last chapter of Excalibur. It's a little longer than previous chapters. Enjoy!

*****

The night had fallen and both Arthur and Merlyn raced to try and find the solution to Merlyn's situation in the morning. Merlyn had made her way to the square where she knew Tristan would be stood. Night had fallen and the moon was high in the sky illuminating the square and the Black Knight, who had not moved from his spot since his fight with Sir Pellinor. Tristan just stood there his gaze locked on one of the upper windows of the castle ... Uther's chambers. It was clear that Tristan was out to get Uther that was for sure.

Creeping into the dark and eerie square, Merlyn hid behind a barrel. Merlyn knew the spell off by heart, it was just a case of reciting it and hoping it worked. Lifting her hand towards the Knight, Merlyn steadied herself. She gave one last pray before she focused her gaze on Tristan and cast her spell.

"Cume her fyrbryne."

As Merlyn's eyes glowed golden, fire raced towards Tristan who continued to stare up at Uther's window. He didn't even flinch as the flames raced up his legs and consumed his whole being. Merlyn knew he was dead but surely flames could kill him, right? Moments later the flames that had raged around Tristan began to diminish as did Merlyn's hope for survival. The flames disappeared leaving Tristan untouched. Knowing staying around was no option, Merlyn turned and ran from the Black Knight's view. Eventually she stopped in a corridor. She had no Plan B, she had nothing. Her magic was useless and her sai would be even less help. Leaning back against the stone wall, Merlyn felt tears gathering in her eyes. She was going to die.

~8~

"A weapon forged with my assistance will have great power" Kilgharrah explained with the sword Arthur had brought hovering between him and the prince.

"I know" Arthur replied with a nod, eager for Kilgharrah to make the weapon.

"You do not know" Kilgharrah snapped. "You can only guess. In the wrong hands, this sword could do great evil. It must be wielded by you and Merlyn only." Arthur frowned at the dragon's words. When would Arthur be wielding the sword?

"This sword isn't for me" Arthur replied. The Great Dragon just laughed down at the prince.

"One day it will be" Kilgharrah announced. Arthur could see the smile that the dragon wore. "This sword will be born of old magic and great power comes with that. Once this sword has done its task you must take the sword far from here and place it where no mortal man can ever find it."

"Why don't I just bring it here and have you destroy it if it's that dangerous?" Arthur questioned. Surely if it was that dangerous then the weapon should be destroyed. It had to be made so that Merlyn could defeat the wraith - she had the skill but she needed the weapon - but after that Kilgharrah could destroy, couldn't he?

"What is made cannot be unmade" Kilgharrah explained with authority, there was no arguing with the dragon. Once this sword was created, that was it.

"Where should I take it?" Arthur asked.

"Once the sword has destroyed the wraith take the sword where no mortal man will find it" Kilgharrah continued the urgency clear in his voice.

"I understand" Arthur replied.