Chapter Seventy-Four: A Choice

Morgana was plotting against the king. She wanted him dead. Those simple facts kept running around Merlyn's head, worrying the witch constantly. She was completely distracted and had no idea what she should do. Needing some help, some guidance Merlyn quickly made her way down the very familiar tunnel stairway that led to the cavern of a friend. Holding her torch high, Merlyn looked into the cavern to find Kilgharrah sleeping upon his rock. She wasn't really sure how she was supposed to wake the dragon; she hadn't exactly had much experience in the situation.

Knowing how much she hated being woken up Merlyn decided she would just wait for Kilgharrah to wake on his own. Quickly, the girl sat against the cavern wall and waited. Thankfully, Kilgharrah woke up not too long after she sat down and was surprised to see the witch but was clearly grateful for being allowed to sleep.

"Well, young witch, what is it you come to ask of me?" Kilgharrah asked with curiosity. For once the dragon didn't know why Merlyn needed help.

"The sorcerer Tauren is plotting to kill the King" Merlyn began, in her regular visits Merlyn had spoken about Tauren so Kilgharrah was aware of who he was. "He's made an ally of ... Morgana. I don't know what to do."

"Do" Kilgharrah started before he said something that made Merlyn gasp in shock, "nothing."

"Nothing?" Merlyn questioned, "If I do nothing, Uther will die." Merlyn may not like Uther but that didn't mean she wanted him dead. Then there was Arthur, how would he react to losing his father?! Merlyn had lost a father figure and it still hurt, could she do that to Arthur?

"Don't you want Uther dead? It is Uther that persecutes you and your kind, Merlyn. It is Uther that murders the innocent" Kilgharrah ranted the truth but Merlyn couldn't help but answer back.

"But surely that doesn't make it right to kill him" Merlyn argued strongly. Kilgharrah however wasn't listening. Merlyn could see a look of glee in Kilgharrah's eyes. The idea of Uther dying pleased the Great Dragon which Merlyn understood after everything Uther had done to Kilgharrah it was no wonder the dragon held no finer feelings for the man.

"Only if Uther dies can magic return to the land. Only if Uther dies will you be free, Merlyn. Uther's reign is at an end. Let Arthur's reign begin" he called out.

"But Arthur's not ready to be king." Merlyn knew this for certain. He was too naive, too young, needed more time.

"Fulfil your destiny!" Kilgharrah shouted as he rose up onto his feet and pushed off the rock flying into the air. Merlyn watched in worry and horror. Kilgharrah had not helped her and she was now even more completely confused on what to do. "Free this land from tyranny, Merlyn! Free us all!"

~8~

Merlyn was nervously sitting back in her chambers. Kilgharrah had not helped at all. He had only given his incredibly bias view on everything. What worried Merlyn more was she was debating the subject. She was debating whether or not to let Uther die ... he may have done bad things in life but did she really have the right to choose whether he lived or died? She needed some wisdom and she knew someone who had an abundance of it.

Quickly the servant made her way out of her chambers and into Gaius' chambers where the physician was restocking his medicine bottles. Merlyn made her way over to the man and sat down beside him with a sigh. Gaius stopped his actions for a moment and gave a side glance towards Merlyn before he continued his work.

"Do you think Uther's a good king?" Merlyn suddenly asked.

"Sorry?" Gaius asked confused at the question.

"Uther. Do you think he's good for the kingdom?" Merlyn questioned as she began to help Gaius fill another of his bottles up with some white powder.