Chapter Thirty-One: Only Killed By Magic

Once the griffin was out of sight, everyone had made their way to the Council Chambers, Merlyn running ahead to get to Gaius. Arthur had explained what happened to his father, omitting Merlyn's actions – only knights of Camelot could defend the city; his father would not be pleased if a servant never mind a woman did such a job. Swiftly enough, the king and Arthur came into the Council Chamber to find Gaius and Merlyn waiting.

"You said your knights were the best in the land. You proved that today" Uther praised. Arthur looked tired and shook his head. His knights did no such thing, had Merlyn not come along with the fire they would have been in trouble.

"All I know is it's still out there" Arthur said.

"Let's not wait for it. The kingdom has been menaced by this creature for too long. We finish this now" the king ordered. Merlyn frowned as did Arthur, neither thought it would be that simple.

"Sire, if I may" Gaius interjected.

"Gaius?"

"I've been researching this creature, Sire. I believe it to be a griffin" Gaius explained carefully, he knew how Uther reacted to the word magic.

"A griffin? What's in a name?" Uther asked.

"The griffin is a creature of magic" Gaius said. Arthur immediately looked towards Merlyn, who was stood with an extremely worried expression on her face. What was going on?

"I don't have time for this, physician" Uther stated anger building in his voice.

"It is born of magic, Sire, and it can only be killed by magic" Gaius finished. Arthur now understood Merlyn's expression. Once again Camelot's future depended on Merlyn; he couldn't defeat the creature, his knights couldn't, only she could and had to defeat the creature. It frustrated him to no end that he couldn't help and he knew he couldn't.

"You are mistaken. It's a creature of flesh and blood like any other. Arthur proved that today" Uther retaliated. Arthur immediately shook his head.

"I'm not so sure, Father. I think there may be some truth in what he says" Arthur argued. He didn't want to take his men out to fight a creature they couldn't kill. It would be a waste of life.

"What truth? You said you injured it" Uther pressed, his harsh gaze resting on his son.

"The griffin was unharmed, Sire. Our weapons seemed useless against it" Arthur said, "yes, one weapon pierced its eye, the blade went straight in but didn't kill it. The ... griffin acted as if it had just received a scratch nothing more." Uther only rolled his eyes at his son.

"Nonsense" he said, Arthur sighed, how many people were going to die for his stubbornness? "No, it's tasted our steel once; the next time will be its last. When will your knights be ready to ride again?"

"An hour. Maybe two" Arthur replied, his gaze resting back on Merlyn and Gaius helplessly. If Gaius was right ... Merlyn was everyone's only hope.

"Good. We finish this tonight" Uther finished, leaving the room swiftly, his crown gleaming on his head. Merlyn and Gaius shared a look. She was in trouble.

~8~

Merlyn and Gaius hurried back into their chambers. Merlyn was beyond frustrated and angry and worried and ... she had to calm down. Merlyn knew the pressure that was building up on her. Her magic was the only thing that could kill it but she knew that her magic was not powerful enough, was it? Her mind flashed back to when the griffin first attacked her, her magic had been powerless then. How the hell was she supposed to kill it? Was she really the only witch around who could do something?!