Chapter Forty-Two: Believe Me

The next morning, Arthur had called the council together, and no one knew why. Merlyn feared what this was about, especially if Arthur was enchanted. It meant he couldn't control his actions and Sophia wanted him to do something that Arthur wouldn't ordinarily do. So what did Sophia want him to do? The king sat on his throne looking over several pieces of parchments that were in his hand whilst Morgana sat beside him in her chair and Arthur's chair was left empty. Sophia, Aulfric and Arthur stood before the king. As Merlyn entered the council chambers her eyes immediately locked onto Sophia, this girl was causing so many issues.

"I requested this audience, Father, to discuss a matter of great importance" Arthur started formally. "It cannot have escaped your attention that I and Lady Sophia Tír-Mòr have grown very close."

"Not too close, I hope" Uther said with a small smile, not seeing the danger that was Sophia Tír-Mòr.

"We're in love" Arthur announced. Merlyn physically cringed. This was going to be embarrassing. "Which is why I come before you today to ask your permission to marry." For a moment silence filled the room before the king started laughing - for once Merlyn was glad that Uther loved traditions, he would not allow Arthur to marry for anything but advantage. Merlyn bit her lip and lowered her head - it was hard to not laugh with the king at the ludicrous nature of the moment.

"I assume you're joking" Uther replied.

"No. I'm going to marry her" Arthur insisted.

"But you only met two days ago" Uther argued quietly

"We're in love" Arthur continued. The longer he insisted the more concern crept onto Merlyn's face. Sophia had a stronger hold on him than she had thought. Arthur was determined he was in love.

"In love? We had no idea that you were such a romantic" Uther said before he turned to Morgana, the king was by no means taking Arthur seriously. Merlyn wasn't sure if that was a curse or a blessing "had we, Morgana?"

"No" Morgana replied, the concern and worry clear in her voice and stance. "He's full of surprises." Morgana's eyes flickered over to Merlyn whose face mirrored her own. Merlyn shrugged her shoulders, she had no idea what was going on. Why was Sophia wanting to marry Arthur?

"I'm going to marry her. I don't care what either of you think about it" Arthur stated, clearly having enough of the king's actions.

"I thought you'd come to ask my permission?" Uther replied, a serious tone creeping into his voice. He could see that Arthur was serious.

"Out of courtesy, nothing more" Arthur announced before he completely disrespected his king and turned his back on him, holding his hand out for Sophia. She took his hand and the pair began to walk out of the hall. Uther, however, was not having this. If he had to discipline his son he would. Handing the letters that were in his hands to his servant, Uther firmly but quietly ordered the guards to block the door. Immediately, the guards moved their spears towards one another, causing the weapons to cross blocking Arthur and Sophia's actions.

"You've forgotten whose court you're standing in" Uther said with a deadly calmness, Merlyn could tell this conversation was falling into dangerous territory for the prince. Acting like a petulant child to your father was one thing, disrespecting your king was another.

"You won't stop me. If I want to marry her, I will" Arthur replied, no hint of backing down. Merlyn's eyes flickered over to Sophia who was watching Arthur smugly. Oh, when Merlyn gets her hands on Sophia...

"Arrest Sophia and Aulfric Tír-Mòr" Uther ordered, the guards immediately stepped forward and grasped the Tír-Mòrs arms. Merlyn felt a flicker of smugness run across her face at the panicked look that Sophia's gained. She clearly hadn't known the severity of Uther Pendragon. However, Aulfric did not look surprised at all.