Citrus Scents and Remarkable Noses

A few days later, the Polar Star Dorm had just finished celebrating Soma's Shokugeki victory against Mito Ikumi when yet another challenge arrived.

"What's this? Camp training?" Soma asked, fingering the pamphlet in his hands.

"The time has finally come." Yoshino said solemnly, her face comically serious.

"You had something like this in elementary and junior high, didn't you?" Sakaki asked, in her soft voice. "It's a camp where we all go and stay for a few nights."

Soma seemed mildly interested. "Huh? I didn't know this school did things like this." his voice implied that he didn't know just what the camp actually was. He looked up from the pamphlet to a deathly pale Tadokoro. "Eh? Why are you shaking so much, Tadokoro?"

"This camp represents the first circle of hell for new high school students." Marui explained, the light hitting his round glasses eerily.

Soma quirked his eyebrow curiously.

"All first years will be tasked with grueling cooking projects everyday in a remote place located in the mountains." Yoshino elaborated in a rather over exaggerated manner. She tilted her bangs to cover her forest green eyes. "If we don't receive a passing score, we receive immediate expulsion. They claim it's an opportunity for friendship and kinship but really, it's a merciless weeder training camp!"

Tadokoro began drooling and shaking uncontrollably.

"This is what Totsuki's education by competition looks like." Satoshi revealed quietly. "The director spoke of the one percent but this is where the selection process really begins." his eyes flashed.

"Isshiki-senpai, didn't you go to this training camp last year?" Daigo Aoki inquired.

Satoshi nodded. "Yes, of course. Even in my time dozens of students were sent home and expelled."

"Expelled?"

"The number of students even dipped below half of what they started in one camp some years ago." Ibusaki added, unhelpfully adding to Tadokoro's shaking and worries. She subsequently muttered "half?" before fainting to the ground, possibly paler than before.

Yoshino whipped around quickly. "Megumi?!"

Tadokoro had a sad smile etched onto her face, her eyes closed. "I am grateful we could be together until now, guys..." she whispered, deathly still. Then, her head flopped to one side awkwardly like a dead fish and she fainted.

"MEGUMI!!" Yoshino screamed.

Soma didn't really seem to care. He was meticulously examining the pamphlet and nodding his head. "Hmm, hmm...So we can take cards and shogi, but no hand held gaming devices." His face contorted. "Man, they don't give us anytime to take a bath!" he complained, seemingly upset.

Yoshino's head popped up angrily. "Hey, Yukihira!" she yelled, an irk mark appearing on her forehead. "How can you be so carefree and already planning your trip? Megumi's practically on her deathbed now!" she exclaimed, waving her fists up and down.

But Soma seemed not to have noticed. "So, half the class makes it, huh? We just have to make sure we're all in that half!" Soma made it sound as if it were as easy as buttering toast.

"Easier said than done," Sakaki remarked quietly, her fingers to her lips.

Satoshi nodded, agreeing with Soma's [impossible sounding] statement. "I'm also quite certain that everyone in the Polar Star Dormitory will come back smiling!" he smiled for added effect.