Chapter 13

FBI agent Sally Roux was disgusted at the scene before her. She had almost stepped in some kid’s vomit and now she was looking at a bloody corpse. This was the fourth victim. All of them had been women and all were found in the homes of families who were out of town and lived outside of the city.

“Now what kind of sick bastard skins the face off of his victim? You think he has a skull fetish?”

Sally turned her head to the familiar voice and asked, “What the hell are you doing here detective? Do I need to speak with your superior?”

Jerry Gonzales grinned and shook his head, “Now why would I want that? I just thought I’d stop by and let you know that a woman’s vehicle was vandalized tonight.”

Sally faced Jerry, “And you’re telling me this because?”

Jerry smiled at her. He knew he finally had her attention, “Because…it might be the handiwork of the same guy who did this.” He tilted his head to the dead woman on the bed and handed her a picture of Eva’s vandalized car.

It irritated her to say it, but she thanked him, “Thank you detective.  I’ll look into it.” She was about to speak with a forensics guy when she turned around, “Oh Detective Gonzales?”

Jerry grinned, “Yeah?”

Her voice didn’t match the sweet smile that she gave him, “Get the hell out of here.”

 ~AT THE HOME OF EVA LEWIS~

Detective David Wilson still couldn’t believe what the other officer had told him.

“It’s blood.”

David hesitated to tell Eva that the words on her car weren’t written in red paint like she thought they were. He didn’t want to scare her. He had told her it was some kind of prank but tonight’s incident plus the flower crown a few days earlier made him wonder if someone was really out to harm Eva.

“So are you sure that McDaniels guy didn’t vandalize your car? How well do you know him?” he asked her.

Eva sighed, “Not well at all. I don’t think he did it but I could be wrong.”

They approached her house. David got out of his car and began walking her to her door. He suggested that he go in and look around the house, “And before you go there, that’s not some pick up line. I just want to make sure that you’re okay and that everything is safe inside. Is Joelynn here?”

Eva shook her head, “She told me she was spending the night at her friend Jacob’s house.”

David nodded. They stood in front of her door. Eva was so tired from the last few days’ events that she didn’t even have the energy to unlock her door.

“Are you okay?” David wrapped his hands around both of her shoulders. He felt like he had been asking her that a lot lately.

She shrugged, “I guess I’m just a little rattled.”

“One of the officers told me you had an intruder at your house last night,” David gave her shoulders a light squeeze, “Do you mind telling me what happened?”

Eva shook her head, “It wasn’t an intruder. I had an unexpected guest stop by that’s all.”

“Who was it?” he asked quickly causing Eva to laugh. David realized his mistake and a corner of his mouth lifted in chagrin, “Sorry. That’s none of my business. It’s just that…you know I worry about you.”

“I know,” Eva said softly. She smiled, “You know Joelynn said the funniest thing to me the other day.”

“What did she say?”