Chapter 34

“I’m going to ask again Ms. Lewis. Who were you supposed to meet the night that you were abducted?”

Agent Sally Roux was frustrated as she attempted to interview Joelynn Lewis about the events that had occurred three nights ago. Joelynn wasn’t talking. She refused to give Sally any information with a stubbornness that rivaled that of her cousin Eva’s.

Jacob Torres, Joelynn’s friend, sat beside her, “C’mon Joelynn…just tell her what she wants to know.”

Joelynn looked at Jacob with a silent stare that spoke volumes. He sighed and gave up. He knew she wasn’t going to speak.

“If you refuse to cooperate, I could charge you with interfering with an investigation,” Sally threatened.

Joelynn rolled her eyes to that warning.

Jacob cleared his throat and said, “Do you mind giving us a few minutes alone?”

Sally looked from Jacob to Joelynn and exhaled a deep breath of irritation. “I’ll give you five minutes.” She stood up and walked towards the coffee machine.

Sally was annoyed and not just because she had been trying to get some information about the Demon King from Joelynn Lewis for the past few days. Sally was tired of having to work out of the local police department’s headquarters. It was old, cramped, and she was sick of all the attitude she was getting from the local officers.

One of their detectives, a Jerry Gonzales, had committed suicide. Rumors around the water cooler indicated that he was so distraught about not being able to find the Demon King, that he killed himself with Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Apparently, he had been engaged to one of the victims. Sally wasn’t sure how accurate that rumor was but she did remember Gonzales being very forceful in his need to be involved in her case and he was pissed when she had taken over.

Sally had to mentally shrug at that. If an officer wasn’t mentally intact, then he shouldn’t be doing any kind of police work. It wasn’t her fault that he killed himself. To top it all off, Gonzales’ partner, David Wilson, was now in the hospital. Taking charge as the temporary senior detective was a Detective James Smith. He seemed to be the ringleader of her anti-fan club. Sally saw him working at his desk and frowned. He had been going to the hospital to spend time with Detective David Wilson. He looked exhausted and irritated…just like her. 

Sally looked up from her Styrofoam filled cup of bitter coffee and saw Eva Lewis walking through the door.  “Great,” Sally thought, “Another person to ruin my morning.”

Sally was going to ignore her when she suddenly had an idea about how to get Joelynn to talk. “Ms. Lewis!” Sally waved Eva over.

Eva looked a little surprised and then cautiously walked over to Sally Roux. “Can I help you, Agent Roux?”

“As a matter of fact, you can. I’ve been trying to get your cousin Joelynn Lewis to give us a statement but she refuses to talk,” Sally explained.

“I’m sorry to hear that but I believe it’s her right to not provide you with anything.” Eva didn’t want to deal with Joelynn right now.

“Actually, it’s her duty to help us find the man that abducted her and stop him from hurting any other women. If it truly was the Demon King that did this, she’s the only victim that was able to escape. That’s big. It’s important. The longer she holds on to that information, the longer it takes us to find him.”

Eva asked, “Have you told this to Joelynn?”

“Yes, but talking to your cousin is like talking to the wall. I need your help.”