Chapter 30

Another picture came through of Joelynn wearing a crown of white flowers. Eva could feel the blood draining from her face.

“Oh my God it’s him! It’s him! He’s got Joelynn,” Eva was sitting on the floor in tears, pulling at her hair.

David stood above her, still holding her phone. “It’s gonna be fine. We’ll get Joelynn back. First, we need to call the station and get the cops involved.”

Eva’s phone dinged again. The sound seemed so loud in the quiet of Eva’s home. She looked up at David who was holding her phone. He read the message, “Don’t even think about calling the cops.”

Eva was panicking. It was okay for her to be in danger but her cousin? It made no sense.

“Why would he take her David?” Eva didn’t know what to do and despite just accusing him of being a serial killer, David was her only source of comfort. She had never been so glad to be wrong in all of her life. “What should we do?”

David handed the phone back to Eva. “I want to call the police,” David answered.

Eva fiercely shook her head, “No. If we call the cops, he’ll kill her.”

The phone dinged again. “Someone has to die tonight. Who will it be? You or her?”

Eva kept staring at the phone. She couldn’t believe this was happening.

“What does it say?” David asked.

Eva ignored him and stared at her text message. She took a deep breath and typed, “Me.”

David grabbed her phone and read the messages, “What the hell are you doing?”

“What does it look like I’m doing? I’m trying to save my cousin!” Eva was becoming hysterical. David pulled out a handkerchief and handed it to her to wipe her tears.

The phone dinged again. This time it gave an address and told Eva to meet him there.

“If I see a cop…she dies”

“You can’t come David,” Eva told him as she grabbed her purse.

“Are you kidding me, Eva? Like I’m really going to let you go alone.” David grabbed her arm and reassured her, “Don’t worry Eva. I won’t let anything happen to Joelynn.”

Eva was still clutching the handkerchief when David dragged Eva outside and told her to get into his car. He checked his glove compartment and grabbed his gun.

“You keep your gun in your glove compartment?” Eva asked in disapproval.

“Be grateful that I do.” David started to drive to the address that was sent to her on her phone. “This doesn’t make sense,” David said.

“Exactly! Why would they take Joelynn?”

David made an exasperated sound, “No Eva, this goes against his profile. The Demon King has never kidnapped or threatened. He just kills. There’s something wrong here.”

Eva didn’t care if it went against his usual protocol. She just knew that Joelynn was being held captive. The address they were headed to was an old abandoned warehouse on the outskirts of town. The neighborhood was underdeveloped and only homeless people lived in the abandoned buildings there. David’s car was probably the only one that would be coming down this street tonight.

David turned to Eva, “I want you to stay in the car. I’m going to go in and look for Joelynn.”

Eva didn’t want to stay in the car but David told her, “I’m going to be too busy worrying about Joelynn and myself. I don’t want to have to worry if you’re safe too. So just stay in the damn car please.”