Chapter 14

It was a little after six in the morning when Joelynn came back home. She had to wake Jacob up again so that he wasn’t late to work. She walked inside when she heard giggling.

“What the hell?” Joelynn whispered. She walked to where the laughter was coming from and was shocked to see her cousin Eva making out with detective dreamboat in the middle of the kitchen, a box of Lucky Charms cereal on the counter next to them.

Eva was wearing David’s dress shirt and some pink panties while he was dressed in his pants and a white undershirt. Joelynn was too shocked to move. The implications of seeing Detective David Wilson in their home this early in the morning with Eva could only mean that the two of them had spent the night together.  Either that or he came over really early for some Lucky Charms.

“Well somebody sure got Lucky…Charms,” Joelynn giggled.

Eva and David turned at the sound of Joelynn’s voice. “Joelynn,” Eva squeaked and blushed.

David smiled at her but didn’t release Eva from his embrace, “Good morning Joelynn.”

Joelynn smiled, “Good morning. I see you two had a busy night. I’ll just go upstairs and get some rest before I go to class later. Please continue.”

Joelynn went up the steps laughing. She had never seen Eva blush so much in her life.

~AT THE LOCAL POLICE STATION~

“Her name was Stella Meyers. Her parents died several years ago. She had a younger brother that is now living with his aunt Denise Meyers. She was a secretary for several years.” Agent Sally Roux was listening to her partner, Donald Ferguson, tell her about the last victim of the Demon King.

“A secretary? Who was her boss? Didn’t he notice her missing?” Sally asked, looking through the pictures she had of Stella Meyers. There were pictures of her with her brother and one of her at an office birthday party. The birthday cake had the words “Happy Birthday Boss” written across it and was held by a handsome man with incredible green eyes. Sally examined the faces of each person in the photographs.

“Her boss was Tom McDaniels, he’s been on some sort of sabbatical.”

Sally sighed, “So who reported her missing?”

“The aunt. Denise Meyers.”

Sally placed the picture of Stella next to the picture of Paula. “Tell me about victim number three again.”

Her partner answered, “Paula Masterson. Age 29. Also no family. She was a bridesmaid at her friend’s wedding before she died.” He threw a picture of Paula with the wedding party in front of Sally. Sally studied the picture before her, looking at each person’s face.

“Who did you say was Stella Meyers’ boss?” Sally asked.

“Tom McDaniels. He's a local businessman. Pretty popular. He’s always on some local eligible bachelors list,” Donald answered.

“Quick, review with me again who the other two victims were,” Sally demanded.

Her partner pulled out the files, “Tiffany Sanchez. Age 33. No family. She was a maid for some cleaning service. Her boss called her in missing. Georgina Ambers. Age 29. She was a real estate agent. She had an older sister that lives in Florida.”

“This can’t be a coincidence. I want you to check if these girls had a connection with him too.” Sally finally had a lead.

Her partner didn’t understand what she was talking about, “A connection with who?”

She held up the wedding party photo that he had handed to her earlier and the picture of the birthday party. Sally pointed to the image of the man that appeared in both photographs.

“Tom McDaniels.”

 ~AT DAVID’S HOME~

David had gotten home fairly late that morning. He had spent an amazing night with Eva.

Eva

He smiled just thinking about her. She was special. He looked at his wall of photos and his eyes landed on one in particular. It was of a little girl with cerulean eyes and dark hair. She was five years old. David walked up to the picture and kissed his thumb. He then pressed his thumb against the little girl’s forehead. “Here’s to you baby girl.”

He began to think about Eva and how someone was threatening her. He didn’t know who it was but when he found out, that person better watch out. He would protect Eva with his life if he had to.

 ~IN HIS CAR~

He couldn’t stop laughing at what had happened the night before. He knew he shouldn’t have done it but he wanted to teach that bitch Eva Lewis a lesson. He had warned her before not to write those articles about the Demon King. It was a double win for him because now the FBI was wasting time inspecting the blood that was used to write his message to Eva. He had nothing left to lose. He thought the flowers would’ve done the trick but they didn’t. Surely the bloody words on her car would be enough. He wondered what he should do next.

He looked up at his place of work. He used to love coming here but as the years went by, he saw too much violence, death, and wickedness. His footsteps felt heavy as he walked inside the old building and to his desk. When his phone began ringing, he sighed and picked it up, “Detective Gonzales here.”