Chapter 27

“He’s on the afternoon docket so let’s make this quick, shall we?” FBI Agent Sally Roux was briefing Eva Lewis before she went in for her interview with Tom McDaniels.

Eva was grateful for the interview, but she didn’t appreciate Agent Roux’s attitude. She smiled at Sally and replied, “We’ll see about that, shall we?”

Sally let that one slide. She was too happy. Today was Tom McDaniel’s bail hearing and there was no way in hell that he was going to get out on bail. He had promised to tell her the truth after he was allowed to speak with Eva Lewis. A confession from the Demon King himself was something Sally couldn’t wait for.

The interview was happening in the main interrogation room. Tom was to be handcuffed while an officer remained in the room with them. Eva didn’t mind but she looked at the table and chairs which weren’t bolted to the floor. She felt safer with the officer in the room.

Eva waited for Tom to be brought in. Sally had already left to view on the other side through the two way mirror. Tom’s lawyer was also with Sally per his client’s instructions.

As the officer brought Tom in, Eva tensed up. He looked a little wild. No longer allowed to wear his green contacts, his pale blue eyes added to the illusion of his wildness.

“Hi Eva,” Tom greeted her. “I’m glad you came.”

Eva cleared her throat, “Hi Tom. How’ve you been?”

He laughed, “How do you think?”

Eva ignored that question, “Why did you ask to speak with me Tom? I’m happy to interview you, but why me?”

“You know why.”

“No, Tom. I don’t.”

“I asked for you because I need your help.” Tom seemed agitated.

Before he could explain, Eva interrupted him, “I met your father Tom.”

Tom seemed surprised. “Why would you do that?”

“Because he’s the father of the man that is now being accused as the Demon King.”

He was silent for a moment. “Do you really believe that? That I’m a serial killer?”

Eva shrugged, “I don’t know. You tell me.”

“Cut the crap Eva. We both know that I’m not the murderer. I would never have-” Tom was cut off by Eva again.

“Fine. Let’s talk about your family. Shall we talk about Beatrice?”

Tom raised his head and in a low deadly voice, he asked, “What did you just say?”

“You had a sister named Beatrice. The last-”

“Shut up.” Tom’s tone became fierce but Eva continued, “The last time she was seen she was-”

Tom shouted, “Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!”

The officer in the room told Tom to calm down. Tom became upset and began banging his forehead against the table. He was trying to block out her voice. The officer tried to intervene but Tom stood up. The look in his eyes was that of a wild animal. He shoved the officer with his shoulder and lifted the chair with his handcuffed hands. He threw it across the room, hitting the glass behind Eva. Then the officer tried restraining Tom. He was too strong in his anger and he was able to run around the table and shove Eva down. She hit her face on the edge of the table. Around this time, Eva heard Tom’s lawyer and a few other officers come in the room to help restrain him.

Eva could hear Tom’s lawyer shouting, “He has not been provided his medications. He would never have attacked anyone if he was properly taking his medications. I'm going to talk to your superiors about this.”