Chapter 26

The police had been called out to the home of a possible suicide. A neighbor had seen an injured tabby cat meowing and pawing at the door for hours. Concerned that the cat was hungry, the neighbor went over to the house and knocked on the door several times. Although the car was parked in the driveway, no one had answered the door. She went around to a side window and knocked again. As she peered into the window, she saw the owner of the cat sitting in a chair, his body slumped to the side. His mouth was open and his eyes were closed. She could also see that the oven was open. She quickly pulled out her cell phone and dialed 911.

As the police officers came inside, they opened windows and allowed the carbon monoxide to leave the house. Neighbors clamored around to see what was going on. The neighbor that had called the police was holding the injured cat in her arms. The first officer on the scene shook his head in disbelief. Everyone would be shocked to learn that Detective Jerry Gonzales had committed suicide. There was no note…just a picture of him and Tiffany Sanchez.

~MEANWHILE~

“I got the results expedited.” FBI Agent Sally Roux’s partner handed her a file.

“It was a match?” Sally asked.

“One hundred percent,” he answered.

Sally smiled. “Get McDaniels in an interrogation room. I want to question him again.”

“You got it. I’ll make sure the family is notified.”

Sally nodded. As far as she was concerned Tom McDaniels was a murderer and she wasn’t going to let him get away with it.

~AT THE TORRES HOUSEHOLD~

Jacob was teasing Joelynn over the phone, “Don’t know what to wear tomorrow night huh? It’s just coffee.”

“Jacob, what if he’s my future husband?”

Jacob was laughing at Joelynn when he heard someone knocking on the door, “Someone’s here Joelynn. I’ll talk to you later.” After he hung up the phone, he walked towards the living room. His mother had already opened the door.

There were two men standing in the doorway. In the pit of his stomach he knew what they came to tell them.

One of the men stepped forward, “Hello. My name is Detective Smith and this is Detective Ellis. I’m here about Nessa Torres.”

“You found her? How is she? Where is my baby?” Mrs. Torres tried to look past the detectives, hoping to see her daughter. One of the men looked at Jacob who stepped forward and pulled his mother back.

“I’m sorry for your loss Mrs. Torres,” Detective Smith said.

“Loss?” Mrs. Torres didn’t understand.

Jacob had to explain, “Nessa’s gone mom. She’s not coming home. Not ever.”

It was a good thing that Jacob was holding onto his mother as her knees buckled and she began sobbing.

~IN THE INTERROGATION ROOM~

Agent Sally Roux sat across from Tom McDaniels.

He had refused to speak with her.

“You have a bail hearing coming up. Excited?” Sally asked.

Tom ignored her.

“I wouldn’t get my hopes up if I were you. The evidence keeps piling up against you.”

At this bit of news, Tom turned to look at her.

“I bet you’re wondering what I found. Well, I’m feeling a little generous.” Sally slid a picture in front of Tom McDaniels. He didn’t show any change in his facial features as he looked at the picture.

“Do you recognize her? Her name is Nessa Torres.” Sally waited for Tom to respond. When he didn’t, she continued, “She used to be employed with your company. She’s been reported missing for a little over two years.”

Tom gave Sally his best bored expression.

She seemed to get upset. “She’s dead now.”

Tom crossed his arms as he sat in his chair. Still, he refused to talk.

“Do you want to know how we know that she’s dead?” Sally asked. Frustrated at his silence, Sally answered herself, “We found her bones in the trunk of one of your cars.”

She waited for Tom McDaniels to respond. It could have gone on for seconds but it felt like hours…the silence after she made that admission.

Finally, Tom McDaniels started to laugh. It wasn’t normal laughter but the laughter of a madman, “I know what you want from me.”

Sally leaned forward, “And what is that exactly?”

“The truth.”

Sally licked her lips in anticipation, “Are you willing to sign a confession?”

Tom shook his head, “I’ll tell you the truth if you do something for me.”

Sally frowned.

“Nothing too difficult,” Tom said. “I want an interview with Eva Lewis.”

“The newspaper lady?” Sally asked. She was surprised at his request. “Why?”

“That’s my business. You get me an interview and I’ll tell you the truth about everything,”

“Everything?” Sally repeated.

“Everything.” Tom confirmed.

Sally smiled, “I don’t normally negotiate with suspects, but you have yourself a deal McDaniels.”

Sally stood up and walked out the door.

Tom laid his head down on the table’s cool surface. He closed his eyes and let the enormity of what was going on around him sink in. He was in trouble. Big trouble.

 ~AT VINCENT’S HOUSE~

Vincent stood in front of his bathroom mirror. He was wearing a dark wig which looked like his natural hair from twenty years ago. He smiled as he grabbed a tube of tinted BB cream. He put some on his face to even out his complexion. Vincent could barely recognize himself. He looked years younger. He chuckled as he looked at the mirror in approval. He couldn’t wait for tomorrow night.