Chapter 17

The bustling of the agents and police officers coming in and out of the home of Tom McDaniels had brought his neighbors out of their homes to see what was going on. A line of gawkers had formed alongside his street. They were gossiping amongst themselves as the officers worked.

 “I think I found something!” an agent yelled so that everyone could hear him. He had been looking through the trunk of one of Tom’s cars. Stashed in a dark plastic bag were what appeared to be some human bones.

“Somebody call Roux. Let her know what we found. Get those bones to the lab ASAP! We need to find out who they belong to,” Sally’s partner, Agent Ferguson, ordered. Things weren’t look good for Tom McDaniels.

~LUDWIG NEWS BUILDING~

Eva was typing up her latest article, “Demon King Claims Secretary of Top Businessman.”

“Excuse me, are you Eva Lewis?”

Eva turned around to a detective’s badge being shoved in her face, “I’m Detective James Smith and this is my partner Detective Randy Ellis” He gestured to a man standing beside him.

Eva slightly recognized Detective Smith. Instead of asking if they knew one another, she asked, “Is this about my car being vandalized? Did you find out who did it?”

James looked at Randy and then back to Eva, “No ma’am. I’m actually here to ask you some questions about the incident that occurred a few nights ago at your home. One of the lead FBI agents asked that we interview you since he’s a little tied up right now.”

Eva looked confused, “Incident?”

“You reported a possible intruder. A police officer was sent to your home to investigate but you asked him to leave and said you were mistaken and then identified the intruder as Tom McDaniels. Is that correct?” Detective Smith asked.

Eva didn’t understand why she was being asked about this but she answered, “Yes. It was about nine in the evening and he left around forty minutes later. I told the officer it was a mistake. What is this about?”

The detective named Randy was taking notes, “Are you sure he left before ten, ma’am?”

Eva nodded, “I’m pretty sure. It was no later than that. I was in bed before ten.”

Detective Smith chewed the inside of his mouth as he eyed her for a moment. He then continued, “Tom McDaniels was the first person you saw the night your car was vandalized. Is that also correct?”

“Yes,” she answered. “Was he the one that vandalized my car? He swore he didn’t.”

Detective Smith shook his head, “We aren’t sure about that yet Ms. Lewis. You and Mr. McDaniels…do you have any special relationship?”

“Special relationship? I don’t understand what you mean,” Eva replied.

“How are you two related to one another? Friends? Lovers?”

Eva felt her cheeks heat, “I barely know him. He wanted me to write a story for him. That’s all. Can’t you tell me anything about my car being vandalized?”

“We’re still investigating the situation. Well, for now that’s all we needed to know. Thank you for your time Ms. Lewis.”

“What? That’s it? You’re not going to tell me what this is all about?” Eva stood up.

Detective Randy Ellis continued to walk away but Detective James Smith turned around. He looked Eva up and down and asked, “I’ll tell you what Ms. Lewis. I’ll tell you what you want to know if you agree to go out on a date with me.”