Chapter 28

David was pissed. He was in his car and had just gotten off of the phone with Detective James Smith who had mentioned what had happened with Eva earlier that day. David and Eva had talked on the phone that morning but she hadn’t mentioned a single thing about interviewing and then almost getting attacked by Tom McDaniels.

Tom McDaniels

He was sick of hearing about him and the Demon King crap. He picked up his phone and called Eva.

“Hey David, what’s up?”

“Eva, do you mind telling me why I need to find out that you were attacked by another officer instead of you?” David was trying to keep his voice in check.

Eva sighed, “I’m sorry David. I wanted to tell you in person. The black eye isn’t even as bad as it sounds.”

“Black eye?” Clearly David didn’t know about the black eye.

“It’s not a big deal. I fell and hit myself on the table. I’m fine. I’ll just need to thicken up my makeup for a few days.

“Dammit Eva, this is why I didn’t want you messing with the Demon King crap.”

“David, are you still at work?” Eva wanted to change the subject.

“Yeah I get off in about two hours.”

“Can you come over tonight? I really don’t feel like being alone,” Eva explained.

“Where’s Joelynn?” David asked.

“She said she had a date and then she’s probably going to go to Jacob’s house.”

David cleared his throat, “Fine, I guess I can come over.”

Eva laughed since she knew he would love to come over.

“Don’t think this conversation about you getting hurt is over Eva. We’ll finish this tonight,” David warned.

Eva yawned, “Yeah…yeah…yeah.”

The two of them hung up and David smiled. It had been a long time since he worried about anyone.

~IN THE CAFÉ’S PARKING LOT~

He waited for her to leave the café. Poor thing, she looked disappointed that her date didn't show. She stumbled a bit from the sleeping pills he had put in her coffee. As she got closer to her car, she completely keeled over.

“Well, that was easy,” he thought. He didn’t even have to knock her out. He looked around and quickly got out of his car and picked her up. He placed her in his backseat and got back behind the driver’s wheel. He was going to have to work fast to pull this off.

~AT EVA’S HOME~

Eva was sitting in her study going through files upon files of articles, copies of police reports, and other data that she had collected about Tom McDaniels’ family.

Eva felt she had enough information on Beatrice but there was still a cloud of mystery around Christopher McDaniels. Vincent had told Eva that he was sent to live with his uncle Roger Fleming.

Eva looked at his records from the police department. She had gotten Detective Smith to help her. She would have asked David, but he was acting very weird about her job lately. Especially when it had to do with the Demon King and she didn’t understand why.

Roger Fleming

He had several DUIs and a few restraining orders placed on him from previous girlfriends. He was never married but he took care of his nephew, Christopher McDaniels. He worked as a contractor. Currently he was residing at Open Heart Residential Treatment Center. Eva paused, this was the same place that Vincent McDaniels sometimes stayed at.

On a post-it note, Eva wrote, “Roger Fleming/Vincent McDaniels- Open Heart Res????”

She continued to look through his files. Apparently the police had been called out to the home for domestic disputes between Roger and Christopher.

On another post-it, Eva wrote, “Roger- Alcoholic/Abuser????”

During one altercation, Christopher threatened his uncle with a knife. Eva didn’t understand why the McDaniels family wouldn’t just let their son return home. Why keep him with an abusive uncle? Didn’t they know about all of this? She looked at Christopher’s information. He attended the same high school as Tom. Vincent mentioned them not being friends. Eva wondered there was any hostility between Tom and Christopher since Christopher was shipped off to live with his abusive uncle.

Eva pulled out another post it and wrote, “Tom/Christopher- Relationship????”

She continued to go through the files of information that she had gathered on the family.

She read through the articles that reported Christopher McDaniels’ death. Apparently he was going to live in an off campus apartment that was still run by the school. It wasn’t a dorm exactly but he did have to have a roommate. The fire that night was caused by a cigarette but neither boy smoked. It was a mystery no one could solve. Police detectives stated that one of the boys must’ve attempted to smoke and forgot to put out his cigarette. One boy lived while the other died. Eva was trying to find information on the other boy. The newspaper articles were very vague and she wasn’t able to get that particular police report. It was as if someone purposely tried to keep his name out of the papers and his identity a secret.

She continued to pour over the articles she had from various newspaper outlets. She stopped when she came across a small blurb from a paper that wasn’t even in publication anymore.

“Fire Survivor Wants to Dedicate Life to Law Enforcement”

There was no article, just a picture of a young man receiving an award. His face wasn’t clear but looked slightly familiar to her. The caption below the picture was what caught her attention. Eva’s heart stopped.

“Receiving his Criminal Justice Degree: David Wilson.”

Fear trickled down her spine as Eva realized that her boyfriend, Detective David Wilson, had been the roommate of Christopher McDaniels.