Chapter 21

Tom McDaniels wasn’t able to sleep that night. He had never been held in jail before much less had to sleep on an uncomfortable cot. He couldn’t believe this was happening. He was being framed and he didn’t know why.  His only hope now was that the Demon King would strike again while he was in jail so that he could be proven innocent. Tom sighed. He couldn’t believe that he was banking on the death of someone else to be the catalyst for his release.

He thought back to his conversation with Agent Sally Roux that day. She was relentless in trying to find out information about his family. As far as he was concerned, he didn’t have a family anymore. His biological mother had abandoned him, his father was a nut job, and his siblings and stepmother had died…leaving him all alone.

“Your siblings died in some pretty suspicious ways,” Sally had remarked.

“I’ve instructed my client not to answer any of your questions,” Tom’s lawyer interjected.

This didn’t seem to faze Sally who continued to speak, “I see that your sister was what…twelve…when she was murdered. The theory was that it was by a drifter.” Sally laughed as if it was completely implausible. Her voice lowered to almost a whisper, “I’ve been looking through the case files and you know what I think is so interesting?” She didn’t wait for an answer, “That your family just accepted it. Most families would demand a thorough investigation or at least some sort of justice. Not your family. It’s as if…as if your family didn’t want an investigation. I wonder why that is?”

She then cocked her head to one side and stared at Tom as if she were trying to read his thoughts.

Tom smirked in response to her silence. He knew she was trying to get a reaction out of him.

Agent Roux leaned forward, “Then there’s your brother, Christopher.”

Tom stiffened and she noticed. Sally smiled.

“He died the first day he went off to college. It’s a shame really. A handsome young man with his entire life in front of him…and now he’s dead. Killed in a tragic fire. The reports claim it was an accident.” She waited to see if Tom would react but he just looked straight ahead.

“A fire in the middle of the night. The report states that it was caused by a cigarette being left on. Strange, isn’t it? The report also indicates that none of the people there that night smoked.”

Tom refused to look at Sally who then asked, “Do you smoke?”

That got his attention, “I’m sorry, what did you just ask?” Tom was fed up.

His attorney stopped him from saying anything further and then looked at Sally, “Are you just going to badger my client? As I said earlier, I’ve advised Mr. McDaniels not to answer any questions. If you continue this, I’ll report you for harassment.”

Sally laughed. “Calm down. I’m not here to harass him. I just wanted to make sure he took his medicine today. She took a small bottle of pills out of a plastic baggie and placed them in the middle of the table.

“These were found in your home when we searched it. I had drugs and medications included in my warrant. I thought I would let you take your pills before you go back to your cell and I lock this up as evidence.”

Tom still didn’t react.

“No? Not interested? Tsk tsk Mr. McDaniels. You should always take your medicine.” She picked up the bottle of Lithium and put it back in the plastic evidence bag she had removed it from. She was about to walk out when she turned her head around, “Perhaps this is for the best. I can’t wait to see the real Tom McDaniels.”

~OUTSIDE OF TOWN~

It was cigarette smoke. Eva continued to cough as the smoke irritated her eyes which were already giving her problems seeing. She struggled again to release herself from the thin ropes that had her tied down. Eva decided to sit still and attempt to take in her surroundings. She kept her eyes closed as she listened to the sound of fire crackling. “That must be from the chimney I saw earlier,” she thought. Eva could hear an owl hooting outside and crickets chirping. She also heard the steady inhale and exhale of someone drawing on a cigarette. She heard a man chuckling.

“Are you Vincent?” Eva cautiously asked.

“Well I’d take a guess that you already knew that Eva.” His voice was surprisingly smooth, which was a stark contrast to the image of the man she had seen through the small window earlier that night.

Eva opened her eyes and again tried to focus on what was in front of her. How long had she been out? Minutes? Seconds? Hours? Sitting on an old green sofa, was the man from earlier. She saw him put out his cigarette. He wasn’t wearing a butcher’s apron or gloves anymore. Instead he was dressed in jeans and a black sweater. He must’ve just taken a shower because she could smell the scent of his shampoo. He had dark hair with grey showing at the roots. He didn’t look as crazy or maniacal without a knife or bloody meat in front of him. He was looking through her cell phone.

Eva swallowed, then spoke, “What are you doing?”

He didn’t bother to look at her, but continued going through her cell, “I can’t wait to see you tonight Eva.” He was reading a message that she had received earlier from David.

The man finally turned his face towards her, “If you can send and receive text messages, surely you can read the no trespassing signs I have posted everywhere on my property.”

“I uh…I thought the house was abandoned,” Eva lied.

“So you didn’t notice the lights on or the chimney smoke? Do you take me for an idiot Eva?” Eva didn’t want him to get more upset than he already was so she answered, “No, I don’t. I really don’t.”

He continued, “This is Texas. Don’t you know when someone’s trespassing on our private property, we have the right to shoot first and ask questions later?”

“Why are you doing this?” Eva asked. “What do you want?”

The man chuckled again.

Eva went out on a limb, “I told the police where I was going. They’ll come looking for me.”

He laughed harder, “Now sweetheart, I seriously doubt that. The only way they’ll come looking for you is if I call them to report you as a trespasser.”

He put down her phone and reached over to pick up an apple and a knife that were on a small table next to him. He began peeling his apple. He was so adept with the knife that he was able to remove the skin in one long piece. Eva had her eyes closed as she heard the crunch of him eating the apple. She wondered what he would do next.

“Tom had to be innocent if his father was the real Demon King,” she thought. She had been so engrossed in her thoughts that she didn’t realize he was standing in front of her, still holding his small carving knife. She opened her eyes and saw his face in front of hers.

Vincent McDaniels had the same pale blue eyes as his son, Tom. Eva thought it was unnatural for someone who had eyes made in Heaven to have a soul made in Hell.

He smiled as if he were comforting her, and said, “Don’t worry Eva. This won’t hurt a bit.” He brought the knife up and she screamed. It was a shame no one but him was around to hear it.