53

Alison

After my exams, I made it out of the school and sat on the bench, waiting for David.

I wasn't sure why I was waiting since I was still pretty mad at him, but I couldn't help that I loved him. After my exams, I sat outside and waited patiently for David. He was supposed to pick me up from school an hour ago, three hours later, and no sign of it.

When it became obvious, he wasn't coming.

I got up and started walking home.

It's unlike David to break his promise, I thought as I walked home.

I was humming some songs to keep myself distracted when I noticed a suspicious car following me from behind; I had noticed it before,

With my movie instincts, I gulped in fear and began walking faster.

"Ali?" A familiar voice called,

I didn't bother turning to see who it was and just fastened my steps.

"Ali, stop! It's me."

I stopped in my tracks and turned to see Matt in a blue Benz. Could this day seriously get any worse? I thought.

He pulled up beside me,

"Get in."

"Go away." I fastened my steps.

"Ali?" he called again,

"Stay away from me, or I will call the cops," I yelled and continued walking; where are those guards when you need them?

I heard the car engine go off and what felt like a car door opening; I turned my head swiftly and noticed him coming towards me.

"Matt! Just leave me the hell alone," I yelled; I couldn't risk David seeing me with him again just after I promised to stay clear of him.

"Stop," he said, grabbing my elbow.

I jolted his hand off me with a frustrated sigh,

"what do you want?"

"Just get in the car and let me take you home," he said in an irritated tone,

"I'm not going anywhere with you; I'm not even supposed to be talking to you; just leave me alone."I pushed him away and continued walking.

"Have something to tell you; it's really important, so please get in the car?" he trailed behind me.

"Nice try." I snorted.

Silence,

He didn't say anything else, and I was glad,

But the feeling didn't last long,

"It's about the agreement our parents made." He paused, waiting for my reaction.

"Real petty, Matt!" I turned to walk away.

"It was all a lie," He whispered, having me turning quickly.

"What are you trying to say?"

"The whole ritual was a lie to make your parents agree to merge companies." He explained further, but I didn't get any of that; hearing it was all a lie was enough.

Honestly, that was the only thing I got from everything he said,

"That's good." I sighed in relief. I never believed the story anyway; it was stupid. "Why are you telling me this, Matt?"

"Just a way of saying I'm sorry." He stepped closer. I swallowed a lump in my throat and prepared myself for the next two words that were about to come out of my mouth,

I never imagined I would ever say them to him,

"Thank you." I let out and twisted my lips.

He nodded, staring at me intently, which was a bit weird, "I should go now." I said and pointed in my direction.

"Let me drop you." he pleaded again,

I was worried about David getting the wrong idea; he was already suspicious.

"I can't be seen with you," I told him and turned to leave.

"Ali, please."

I didn't turn back this time; I just continued walking, hoping he would understand and leave me alone. I didn't get far when I heard what he yelled next.

"I love you."

I froze, stopping in my tracks. I didn't see that coming.

He moved towards me,

"Ali?" he pulled me out of my trance, "I said I love you." He leaned even closer, "I realized after you left--"

"Matt, I think you should stop," I warned as his lips were now inches apart from mine. Was he trying to kiss me?

I was still in shock.

Wake up, Alison!

Stop him! my inner voice screamed from inside,

"Stop!!" I finally managed to yell when someone came out of nowhere and yanked him off me.

_______
🙃