20

"Deepthi..."

"Leon..."

The two stared at each other for a few moments, tears forming in Deepthi's dark eyes as Leon swallowed the lump forming in his throat. It wasn't their first meeting, but it felt like it all over again, it was like they had never truly known each other until now.

Leon had to look away after a few moments, clearing his throat slightly as he stepped aside for Deepthi to come inside his apartment. She did so, tucking a strand of dark hair behind her ear as she slipped her shoes off by his door, out of instinct. Leon raised an eyebrow behind her back, but didn't comment on it, instead running his fingers through his messy blonde hair as he wondered how this night would end.

Did he want to know how this night would end?

Deepthi was wondering the same thing to herself as she subtly checked him out to make sure he was in his pajamas, she had rushed straight out of bed and to him, not caring what she wore.

She would always be there for him when he needed her.

"Lilly might be awake, if you want to say hello." He murmured softly, breaking the silence as he spoke in the gentle tone he always took when he was talking about his beloved daughter. Deepthi had never understood that tone until fifteen minutes ago, until he had told her the story behind the sweet child, and she could not think about that unless she wanted to cry again, like she had during the drive there.

"I would love to see her, I've missed her," Deepthi replied softly, her tone just as soft as his, because she didn't want to be the one to to break this awkward tension, to start something she didn't know how to end.

     Both were hesitant to truly open up in person, to really talk about what they had endured, and who could blame them? Who could blame any of the broken people who came to the Internet, to strangers for help, and who could blame the ones who bore their souls to people who turned out to be dangerous? Is it their fault for being lonely, is it everyone's fault for not noticing them, whose fault was it?

Is there ever a story where one person deserves all the blame, or is everyone a little guilty?

     Leon and Deepthi, just two lonely souls who had just wanted love, but had gone looking in all the wrong places. Was that their fault?

     And Lilly, sweet Lilly who was tucked in that night by the woman she wished was her mother, and her father, whom she would never know how heroic he really was. Precious Lilly, who would never know of the cruelty and pain her father had endured for her sake, all so he could have one person to love him the way he had sworn to love her when finding out that Abigail was pregnant. Was it Lilly's fault for being born and putting him in this situation, was it Abigail's for torturing him, was it Leon's for not using protection?

     Deepthi and Leon, two lost souls who needed comfort, solace, who needed the warmth of each other's bodies for just one night, to be held and hear someone whisper that everything was going to be okay, for once in their lives.

Poor Deepthi, who had never seen love, whose parents had been married from an arranged marriage. How was she to know what to expect, was that her own ignorance that she was in this situation? Was it Shawn's fault for manipulating her? Was it her parents for not trying to teach her something that they didn't understand?

Leon could see in her eyes what she needed, and Deepthi saw everything he needed in his, promising him to tell him everything he wanted to know, but for one night...

Can two broken people fix their pieces in one night, one night that might end up being the worst mistake of their lives?

Of course not.

But for one night, for one moment as their lips finally connected, they could forget, and they did forget.

All they could remember were each other's names on their lips, the every curve and shape of each other, the way that every kiss and movement felt against their skin.

Of course, forgetting is not true recovery, and everything in life is temporary, including life itself.

But for one night, they could afford to forget that, and lose themselves in each other.

a non-dialogue chapter, woah
drop a comment, leave a vote, maybe hit that follow so your girl can get to 1.5k?
love you all