15. Our Saviour

“Kya hua somu?” Gauri asked, concerned. She put away, the bowl of popcorn on the table and adjusted herself on the sofa, facing her little sister.

“I don’t want to talk about it di” Soumya said, curling on to her sister’s lap.

“Acha teek hai! I will never ask you about it again” She lovingly caressed Somu's hair “Par aise mooh pholake toh math baith”

“You know what, he flipped everyone on to his side” She answered sadly.

“Kaun?” Gauri asked, switching off the Tv.

“Wahi!! Duffer Singh Oberoi” she rolled her eyes.

“Achha! Woh Jatadhari hippie ke chote bhai” she chuckled.

“Dii! I am serious.” hugging a pillow to her body, she sat up, facing her sister.

“Okay baba!” she pursed her lips, pressing her finger on to them.

Sowmya's POV:

I, Bhavya, Reyan, Manav and Chubby settled ourselves at our usual table in the canteen. It was then, a few of our seniors banged loudly on the centre table, calling us, The Juniors.

One of the guys from their group called all of us to them.

I was a bit tensed as it was our first interaction with the seniors. It had been a week since we joined yet no one ragged.

Our University was basically very much ragging free campus except for a rare times. And may be this was going to be one.

We were a fifteen of us, standing in the centre, grabbing attention of every senior present in the canteen. They scanned us from tip to toe and Unfortunately, all the girls were called to stand in the front row.

I and Bhavya, glanced at each other nervously. She tightly clasped her palms together praying. I, however was not so scared, except for a bit of uneasiness for being the centre of attention.

They asked our names one by one and scolded us for not wishing them in the very beginning. Then they sent the fellow guys away, giving a chance to the senior girl mates, to rag them. Now, only the girls were left. Just the five of us.

They called Aarthi, my classmate, to go wish every senior in the college and find out their names, without asking them. We were shocked by their task.

That was really mean. How would she know their names without questioning them? Moreover, there were almost 150 people in every batch. I was so pissed at them yet I had to control my temper. I understood we were going to get tortured by them now.

I scanned them all and I caught a guy staring at Bhavya. He asked us about our hobbies, our family and blah-blah. I felt it more like an interrogation though.

He was tall, not so well built, pale and was so much curious to know more about Bhavya. I remembered his name suddenly when I saw his friend  calling him the other day. His name was Ajay.

It was 4’o clock already. Our time to leave the college.

“Arey yaar! Entertainment chahiye bhai" One of them asked Ajay, winking. I didn't know why I started feeling uncomfortable. And bhavya was already on the verge of crying.

“Sir..” She whispered nervously. I saw  her in disbelief. I knew her from my eleventh grade. She was always a shy girl who was always reserved and scared  to socialise. And I being her best friend, an exact opposite to her character.

“hum late ho rahe hai Sir" she told him, her voice shaking. I know we were getting late. Her choti maa would kill her if she was late. May be she thought facing these seniors was much better than the punishment she wpuld get from her ChotiMaa. I knew her situation yet I was helpless.