Chapter 15

Amai Sato Café, 4:03 pm.

“Hitomi! You ready to go?” I heard Kensuke call my name from downstairs as I prepared myself for a visit at their house. Today is Christmas Eve and Kensuke successfully convinced me to attend that mini Christmas party our cousins held for us. I’m not really close with my other cousins besides Kensuke but he still managed to make me go because he said Mayu’s going there as well. I took a last quick glance at the mirror before heading downstairs, taking my hoodie with me. “I’m coming” I called to Kensuke who was waiting for me at the entrance of our café. “Hitomi you’re slowly turning into a girly girl. You made me wait for 10 minutes” Kensuke complains receiving a hit at the shoulders from me. “C’mon! Is that the only present I get from you~?” he pouted, clinging himself on me. “Yeah why?” I answered monotonously.

“So mean Hitomi~! And here I bought you a complete set of Shiraga Riyu-san’s debut manga volumes!” he proclaimed pulling it out. Oh my god!!!

“K-Kensuke you really bought me this?!” I shrieked as he handed me the volumes, placing it onto of my palms. I feel like I’m holding a treasure. I-It feels so good just holding these sets! I’m in love. Sorry Himuro, I found someone new~ Wait, what am I saying? “Thank you so much Kensuke!” I beamed at my older cousin who looked taken aback when I smiled at him. He scratches his cheek sheepishly and then grinned. “Wow Hitomi, it’s so nice to see you smile at me again” he says that makes me dumb founded. Has it been a while since the last time I smiled at him? Well it doesn’t matter. I’ll smile whenever I feel like it. But based on Himuro and Kensuke’s reactions when I smiled at them, it seems true that I seldom show my smile to everyone. I must look like that grumpy cat meme all the time.

“Ah… your welcome?” I didn’t know what to reply to Kensuke and just followed him to his bicycle that was latched at the sidewalk. Their house, which is the venue of the Christmas party isn’t far from here. You can actually just walk to reach it but since I’m bringing some pastries over at theirs, Kensuke had to bring his bike that had a basket in front. “Here” I gave the pastry pack to Kensuke who placed it in the basket. I nervously sat at the back of his bike while he positions himself on it. I clasped on him nervously as he began to pedal ahead. Kensuke noticed the shivering of my hands that was attached on his back. He chuckled. “Relax, Hitomi. You won’t fall” he assured me but I just gripped on tighter. Sorry for being a scaredy cat, but I’m not fond of bikes. I remember when I was a kid I rode on one when a childhood friend of mine taught me how to ride on it but I end up falling and scratch both of my knees. I couldn’t stop crying after that and my poor friend was scolded by his mother. I wonder how he is. Mayu and I used to play with him when we were little. He also lived in Tokyo.

“Ne, Hitomi. Who did you pick as your secret Santa?” Kensuke asked, glancing over his shoulder to look at me. It made me panic. “F-Focus on the road ahead idiot!!!” I chided as we swerved along the road making me shriek. “K-Kensuke!!!”

“Whoa!” he laughed regaining complete control of the bike. “Idiot!” I smack the back of his head as he steadily pedaled for us. “So, who did you pick?” he repeated his previous question, now converged on the wide cemented road. “I don’t know. Some little girl named Maya” I answered. I’m not really familiar with my other cousins anymore. But Kensuke seems so. “Oh Maya-chan! She’s our baby cousin! Remember she was born when were like… I don’t know 10?” who? I don’t recall. “Oh well, I guess for the whole time of the party you’ll be hanging out with Mayu, ne?” his statement made me look at him curiously. “Aren’t you gonna hang-out with us?” I wondered as he gave me a questioning look. “You want me to?” “Idiot. You’re the only cousin I’m close with there. Don’t leave me and Mayu alone!” I smack his head again as he apologized. He laughed sheepishly. “S-Sorry about that Hitomi. I thought you had enough of me since I always tease you” what is he saying? This idiot. And why isn’t he calling me “Tomi-chan” like the usual? Kensuke’s been acting strange since… since I met Himuro. I huffed and yelled the word idiot at him again.