Chapter 16

After New Year’s-January 5, 6:51 am.

“KENSUKE I TOLD YOU TO SLOW DOWN!” and here we are again. Me, telling Kensuke to stop pedaling so quickly because we might over speed and end up hitting someone or hitting vehicles. Of course Kensuke being Kensuke, he didn’t listen to any word I said. Next time I’m walking to school; having Kensuke to fetch me with his bike was a bad idea.

We were almost at Yosen when we passed by the park where I saw Himuro with the squirrels again. I gripped on Kensuke’s shirt, telling him to stop and hopped of his bicycle. “Kensuke, you go on ahead. I… need to go somewhere. Bye!” I waved my hand at my cousin who stared at with a wondering look. I-I don’t need to tell him that I’m going to that park! “H-Himuro!” I called the guy who was busy petting the squirrels before looking over to me with those or that green lime eye. His left eye is always covered by his hair, why is that?

“Ah, Hitomi. Good morning to you. And Happy New Year” Himuro greeted me with a warm smile. “G-Good morning… H-Happy new year too!” I reply with a bow which Himuro commented as cute. I flinched before kneeling down beside him to check on the squirrels that now have a third member of their family. Yep, mommy squirrel must’ve given birth already and her baby is now hanging on her back. They look so cute it made me smile. “Such a wonderful family, ne?” Himuro picks up the daddy squirrel and hand it over to me. I smile in delight.

“Un!” I nod, stroking the squirrel’s fur while watching him twitch his leg in enjoyment. I giggled at its reactions and glimpsed over at Himuro already had his eyes on me the moment he gave me the squirrel.

“Hitomi looks so cute. She’s like a little kid” he cooed, brushing his soft fingers on my cheek. I blushed and jolt away from him, putting the squirrel back on the ground.

“W-We should go to school or else we’ll be late” I said, not looking at him. I heard him hum. “Mmm, but I wanted to spend more time with you as possible” W-What is he saying now?! I clicked my tongue and stood on my feet firmly. He gave one last pat to the squirrels before following me as I walked to school, leaving him with those squirrels.

Walking with him reminded me of what happened during the Christmas party at Kensuke’s house. I didn’t know what made me think of that but I sure know that’s it’s awkward to talk about with Himuro. A-And that temporary gift…

My hand made its way to play with the dangling necklace hanging from my neck. It was Himuro’s gift to me; he half heart necklace that matches his. Actually, is he wearing it right now? I glanced at him to check it, not realizing that I was still holding onto my locket. “Are you looking for this?” Himuro asked me while pulling out the match of necklace, from under his shirt. I was wonderstruck when he showed it to me and immediately hid mine under my blouse. “Don’t worry, I’ll make sure I’m wearing every day like you” that’s it; Himuro’s wooing me again with his robust charm. Due to my easy to get agitated nature, I couldn’t respond to what he said and just kept my mouth shut. I didn’t bother to argue with him today. It’s a new year. I need to work on my New Year’s resolutions.

ROOFTOP-YOSEN HIGH, 12: 33 pm.

Our first lunch hour of the year and here I am with Mayu and the others, writing down some traditional things we do every New Year. Aside from fireworks and visiting shrines, the three of us has this practice of writing down our resolutions every year; just the three of us. But because of gaining friends, Mayu decided we should invite everyone to join us. And that includes, Yumi, Kaichou, Murasakibara and even Liu’s here.

“Why am I involved with this?” Liu sighed and stared at the paper where he’s supposed to write down his resolutions.

“Silence Liu! You’re not in China so you have to follow Japanese traditions!” Mayu proclaimed, pointing out her pen in the air.