Chapter 17

Amai Sato Café, 10:12 am.

“Eh? Hitomin’s not here?” Shiraga titled her head to the side out of wonder after hearing from the shop vendor that Yoshio took the day off this Saturday. Yoshio didn’t mention anything to Shiraga about her plans for the weekend that made the little girl feel left out a bit. She wanted to hang-out with her friend but apparently, Yoshio had other plans. “Was she with someone?” she asked the shop vendor who is Yoshio’s co-worker who rubbed his chin for a moment, recalling the handsome guy who fetched Yoshio earlier in the morning.

“Yeah. It was a handsome guy, probably her boyfriend” the bearded man informed the little girl, leaning over the counter.

“Handsome guy? Boyfriend?” Shiraga wondered, whispering to herself. “Could it be Himuro-kun?”

“You her friend or something? Want to leave a message?” the man quizzed Shiraga, handing her a pen and a pad to write on. Shiraga shook her head, telling him it was okay. The guy shrugged and went to entertain a costumer who often come to the café every weekend. “Ah you’re early as usual, Barney-kun!”

“Barney-kun~? what a mean nickname to give me…” said a lazy voice.

She went to seat on one of the tables to think about Yoshio and Himuro’s unexpected outing for today. It made her suspicious about the high possibility that they might be dating. “Why didn’t they tell me?!” she jumped to conclusion even before she could even confirm that they did went out on a date. “H-Hitomin why didn’t you tell me?!” she started ruffling her hair in frustration.

“Shirachin?” a familiar lax voice greeted Shiraga’s ears as she raised her head—like always—to look at the tall purple head giant, looking down at her with a loafing smile.

“M-Murasakibara-kun?” Shiraga looked surprise to see her crush hanging out at the café where Yoshio’s working. “What are you doing here?”

“Mmm? What are you talking about? I’m always here every weekend. Shiochin’s always the one who serves me my favorite sweets here” Murasakibara said casually and joined Shiraga on the table.

“Is that so? How come you and Hitomin never mentioned it to us before?” Shiraga replied curiously, watching Murasakibara pull out extra snacks from his pocket.

“Well it isn’t worth mentioning anyway. Besides, Shiochin’s the type of person who doesn’t tell you things that aren’t necessary” Murasakibara told her as if he knew the very personality of Yoshio.

“Eh? You talk like you’re really close to Hitomin…” Shiraga commented with a sweat drop.

“Mmm? Well I do chat with her every weekend. Her co-workers tell me stuff about her. They’ve been working here ever since she was a child so they know a lot about her” Murasakibara explained. He noticed the sad look on Shiraga’s face as he tilted his head in wonder. “Shirachin?”

“Hitomin… why is it that she’s not open to other people?” Shiraga muttered to herself. “Why can’t she tell me more about her? Why is that?”

“Shirachin…” Murasakibara stared at the glum girl in front of him. He knows about Yoshio’s background, that he unintentionally knew about because of the co-workers telling it to him. “Shiochin’s still just adjusting over that she has many friends now” what he said, made Shiraga look at him. He smiled at her. “It’s been a while since Shiochin had a group of friends, according to mister beard guy over there. She’s still not getting over the fact that she made friends. She’s not the sociable type of person since she’s been bullied ever since she was a kid. Not that she doesn’t see you as a friend, but I’m sure she’ll gradually open up to you. Just be patient”