December 22nd 9:21PM

Morgan looked over her shoulder and over the edge of the brown couch. Henry stood in the doorway of the lounge. His hair was damp and he wore a pair of plaid pajama pants and a t-shirt that fit snug on his body. He took up the doorframe, a hand on each side of the frame.

"Hey," she said softly in the dim light of the Christmas tree and the television. Red flashed across the scene, bathing the room in a red light. Morgan watched Henry look at the ground before pulling himself away from the doorway and into the room.

"I, uh, I'm sorry about how things turned out," he apologized, rubbiing a hand on the back of his neck. Morgan lifted herself up, tucking her legs underneath her on the couch to prop herself up higher. She crossed her arms on the back of the couch and rested her chin on top of it.

"Don't be," she said, trying to reassure him. "I have seen worse. Don't apologize, okay?" Henry looked up at her, his eyes were glossy and his eyelids heavy. He dropped his arm and touched the edge of the bookshelf behind Morgan.

"I brought down towels for the bathroom. Anita usually keeps some down here, but I noticed she removed them, so I brought you more," he stated, turning his gaze to the bookshelf. Morgan watched as he took a deep, shuddery breath.

"Come sit." She motioned with her head for Henry to sit on the couch beside her. He swung his head around to face her. Morgan pulled her right arm out from under her chin and patted the couch. Henry locked his gaze with hers. Tipping her head, she motioned once more for him to sit down. With a sigh, he made his way around to the other end of the couch. He folded one leg up underneath him as he sat down in the corner.

"What's this?" Henry asked, nodding to the television. The TV was playing a Christmas movie, one of those cheesy ones that everyone hates, but everyone watches all the same. Morgan turned to look briefly at the television, shifting her body to be angled towards Henry. She rested her elbow against the back of the couch and propped her head up in her open hand. Her gaze flicked back to Henry before she answered.

"A cheesy Christmas movie," she replied. Henry let out a small laugh.

"I could see that, what's it about?" He asked, his shoulders relaxing against the back of the couch.

"A guy doesn't believe in Christmas and falls in love with a girl who is all about Christmas and they go on this crazy journey of him learning to love it," Morgan replied. Henry angled his body, unfolding his leg out from under him, so he could face Morgan more directly.

"What's your take?"

"It's a cheesy film, like they all are," Morgan replied with a soft chuckle.

"I meant on the holiday itself," Henry stated. Morgan's face fell into a frown. She took a deep breath and looked away from Henry.

"It's everything. My family always gets together at the farm and we have a great time. Unwrap presents, play games, laugh, sometimes go sledding. It's just wonderful. It's a crime in my family to not show up," Morgan said letting out a laugh. Henry watched her closely, noticing her eyes becoming wet as tears built up on the lower lids. "Even when someone gets married they bring practically their family along. My cousin Marley got married two years ago and now him and his parents come every year, too."

"It sounds like a lot of fun," Henry said softly. Morgan closed her eyes and took a deep breath. When she opened her eyes, the tears were gone. She nodded her head and broke into a smile.

"It is. What do you guys normally do?" She asked. Henry scoffed and rolled his head back to rest against the back of the couch. "That bad?"

"Basically what you saw with a lot more yelling, and Anita telling the three of us that there was only money for her and Maddie and not us. Dad still gets us things, and we get each other things, but Anita, no. Not at all. Katie was seven when this started. Do you know how devastating that is to a seven year old? To be told she doesn't matter as much as the baby," Henry stated. He let out a shaky breath and brought his head forward. He leaned forward, placing his elbows on his knees and his head in his hands. Morgan sat silently, waiting for him to speak again.

"I was fourteen. Allison was sixteen. The first Christmas with Anita, she convinced Dad not to get us hardly anything. She wasn't even pregnant then. Allison and I scraped up whatever we had and went out and bought Katie whatever we could afford. We kept it up for a few years before Katie figured it out. At that point, we would do anything for Maddie, don't get me wrong, she is nothing like her mother, but the joy was gone. Allison only comes home for Katie and I, I've only stayed living here to be there for Katie," Henry trailed off. He could feel Morgan's hand resting on his arm, she had moved closer as he talked and was now sitting next to him, her legs crossed under her body. He looked over at her, her head tipped to the side, eyes glossed with empathy.

"I can't even imagine what that must be like," she whispered, letting her hand drop away from his arm as he sat back up. They held their gaze for a moment and turned their heads back toward the television just as the on-screen couple kissed.

"It's already a lot better this year, so maybe things will change," Henry said, standing up. "Do you need another blanket, or anything?" He asked, his gaze turned away from Morgan.

"I'm all set, but thanks," she replied with a soft smile, even though he couldn't see it. The light of the television lit his face in an eerie green color for just a moment, enough for him to turn away and head back towards the door. "Hey Henry," Morgan said. He stopped and turned around, looking at the girl on the couch. "Goodnight." A smile broke across his face.

"Goodnight."