Chapter 2

"Hey Melanie, wait up!" Mya shouted as she ran out of her last bell. Melanie turned around and smiled but then frowned as she remembered that she had to tell Mya about her not wanting to barrel race. "Do you know if I am allowed to come over a bit? I was thinking we could barrel race together. I miss Star." Mya asked. Mya and Star had a special connection. Even though it wasn't her horse she called Star her second horse. Star actually belonged to Melanie's mom but Mya was allowed to ride her. "Actually, Mya I need to talk to you. I am sure my mom won't mind but when we get there I need to let out a few things." Melanie said. "Oh, alright. Well I am here for you." Mya said. They got onto the bus and headed home. "Alright, I texted my mom and she said you can come." Melanie said. "Okay." Mya replied. The bus stopped at Melanie's house and they both went to the barn to see the horses. When Maggie saw Melanie she nickered and came up to the stall door to greet her. "Hey girly girl." Melanie said as she stroked Maggie's muzzle. "Hey Maggie." Mya said with a smile as she walked up beside Melanie. Maggie nickered again when she saw Mya. "So, Mel what did you want to talk to me about?" Mya asked. Mya called her Mel for short. "Um, I don't know how to tell you." Melanie said as she put Maggie's halter on. Mya went over to Star and put her halter on. "You can tell me Mel. I am your best friend." Mya said. They walked their horses to the hitching post. "I will tell you while we ride. I just need to process on how to tell you." Melanie said as she groomed Maggie. "Alright, I understand." Mya said. Mya and Melanie got the horses groomed and tacked up then went to Melanie's big outdoor arena. They mounted up and started warming up. "Alright, Mya. You chose to barrel race right?" Melanie asked. "Yes, of coarse. I have always wanted to barrel race. I was inspired by my cousin. She use to barrel race when she was my age but now she in college. I want to spend my entire life barrel racing." Mya explained. "What if I told you, I don't feel the same way about it?" Melanie asked nervously. "What do you mean Melanie?" Mya asked her. Mya stopped Star to listen to Melanie. "You don't know this but I didn't choose to barrel race. My mom made me because she did it. I love to ride Maggie around the barrels sometimes but it is not my passion. So, last night I was looking at some other disciplines and one appealed to me and that is..." Melanie almost said it before Mya interrupted her. "You want to quit barrel racing?" Mya asked in shock. Melanie wanted to cry. She was worried of this happening. She didn't want to upset Mya. "Yes, but it is not my passion like it's yours. I want to jump." Melanie said. "I can't believe this! You love to barrel race!" Mya snapped. "I told you that but it wasn't true. I didn't want you to know because I knew how much you loved to barrel race with me." Melanie explained. "I am your best friend, Melanie! You could have told me!" Mya snapped again. Melanie was speechless. She figured Mya would be upset but not like this. "I....I am s...sorry Mya." Melanie stuttered. She wished she never said anything. Mya squeezed Star and they went towards the barrels. Mya had to let off some steam so she decided to go around the barrels. As she came back towards Melanie she still looked very upset. "See, isn't that fun?" Mya asked. "It is but it is not my passion. I don't want to barrel race anymore and if you are really my best friend then you would support me." Melanie said. Melanie wished again she could have taken that back. It just slipped out. Mya didn't reply and they just looked at each other for a minute. Melanie sighed then dismounted. "I am done riding for today." Melanie said softly. "What? You just got on." Mya said in confusion. Melanie didn't reply and led Maggie back to the barn. As Melanie was leading Maggie to the barn her mom came out. "Why is Mya in the arena all by herself?" Agetha asked. "We got in a....I am done riding and she wants to continue.." Melanie lied. She did not want her mom to know about the argument because most likely she would ask about it and Melanie didn't want to explain. "No, go out there I want to see you practice." Agetha demanded. "I already did.." Melanie lied again. "I still want to see you do it a few times." Agetha said. Melanie sighed and led Maggie back to the arena. Mya was slowing Star down after doing the barrels again and frowned when she saw Melanie. Mya just ignored her and continued riding. Melanie mounted back onto Maggie and gave her a pat. "Mya, can Melanie go around the barrels a few times?"  Agetha asked. Mya nodded then got out of the way so Melanie can do the barrels. Melanie squeezed Maggie and kissed at her then off she went. They flew around the barrels quickly but smoothly. They headed around the final barrel and she brought her home. Melanie slowed Maggie down and patted her. "Great round sweetie." Agetha said clapping her hands. Melanie shrugged and sighed. Melanie's heart had shattered. One reason is because she is being forced to do something she doesn't want to do then most importantly she felt she had let her best friend down. Melanie thought their friendship was over. Mya thought the same thing.