Chapter 6

It was the weekend so Melanie didn't have to go back to the barn till Monday. Melanie was sitting on her bed and was watching videos of Amanda Barkley  jumping. All of the sudden her phone started ringing. Melanie picked it up and saw that Mya was calling. Melanie sighed and answered. 

.............................................................

Melanie: Hello? 

Mya: Hey Mel. I just want to say I am sorry for how I acted when you told me about not barrel racing anymore. You are my best friend and I should support you. 

Melanie: It's okay Mya. It's just not my passion anymore.

Mya: I know. I understand that. I will miss barrel racing with you though. But anyway what have you been doing this week? 

Melanie: Ugh, my mom made me go to this barn where they do barrel racing. She wants me to improve. I don't want to do it though. 

Mya: I think it sounds pretty cool. 

Melanie: That's because you love to barrel race, I don't. I love riding Maggie more than anything but I want to try a different discipline. 

Mya: I understand that Mel. Is there anything you like about the barn? 

Melanie: Well, I made a new friend named Josie. But of coarse you are my best friend. (giggles) But not really much I like about the barn. 

Mya: (Giggles) Well I gotta go. I love you Mel. See you around bestie! 

Melanie: Bye Mya. 

...........................................Hangs up.............................. 

Agetha walked up the stairs after Melanie was done talking to Mya. "Who was that?" Agetha asked as she peeked through the door. "It was just Mya." Melanie said. "Well, come on downstairs. We are having a family night." Agetha said. "Is dad down there too?" Melanie asked. "Yep." Agetha replied. Melanie smiled then ran down the stairs. Melanie jumped into her dad's arms and gave him the biggest hug. "Hey Mel. How was your day so far?" Brandon asked through his laughter. "It was good." Melanie replied. A few moments later Sparky jumped into Melanie's arms. Melanie giggled then put him back down. "Come to the table. We are going to do something new." Agetha said. Melanie and her dad nodded then sat down at the table. Sparky laid down next to Melanie's feet. "Alright, today we are going to play a game where we ask each other questions. We all take turns asking fun questions and the other replies with the truth. This will help us get to know each other a little more." Agetha explained. "Sounds fun." Brandon said. Melanie agreed and they started. "Melanie, do you want to ask one of us a question?" Agetha asked. Melanie nodded "Dad, what is your favorite part of your day?" Melanie asked. "My favorite part of my whole day is coming home to you guys. I don't get to see you guys all the time because I am so busy with work and you two are usually at competitions." Brandon explained. "Alright, when a person gets asked a question it is their turn to ask." Agetha said. "Agetha, what was your favorite date that we have been on?" Brandon asked. Melanie laughed as her dad asked the question. "My favorite date with you was when you took me to the rodeo. I got to see my idol, Karla Wind, she is the best barrel racer in the country. She inspired me to barrel race when I was Melanie's age." Agetha explained. Melanie got nervous about her mom asking a question. She figured her mom would ask about barrel racing. "Melanie, what is your favorite part about barrel racing?" Agetha asked. Melanie started getting anxious. She had no idea on how to reply. "Um....." Melanie started. She could not think of what to say. The only thing she liked was riding Maggie. "My....favorite..part of barrel racing is riding Maggie." Melanie said. "What about the actual sport? What is your favorite part of the sport?" Agetha asked. "Alright, honey. We only ask one question. Remember?" Brandon jumped in. It was like he could read Melanie's mind. Sometimes when Melanie would come home after a competition, he could tell that she didn't want to do it. "Mom, I don't like any part of barrel racing. I already told you that. I don't want to barrel race anymore." Melanie snapped. Agetha was in shock on how her daughter spoke. "But why?" Agetha asked. "Because mom, it's not my passion! It has never been my passion! You forced me to barrel race! You never asked me what I wanted to do!" Melanie snapped then ran back to her room. "I told you, you should have stopped there. You know she doesn't like to barrel race. She has told you that herself. Can't you tell? Every morning she is sad because she has to do something she doesn't love to do!" Brandon yelled. "I want her to grow up like I did. I want her to be involved with the sports I did. Barrel racing was a big part of me! I want it to be a big part of her too!" Agetha said. Brandon and Agetha fought for the rest of the night. Melanie could hear them from upstairs. Melanie put her pillow over her ears so she didn't have to hear her parents argue. She hated when her parents argued. Melanie went to sleep with the sound of yelling. "She is a different person, Agetha! We are all different! We aren't going to like the same things!" Brandon yelled. "She use to love barrel racing! This is all recent!" Agetha finally snapped. "She never loved it! She did it because you forced her!" Brandon yelled louder. Brandon went outside to let out steam. Brandon took a deep breath as he sat on the front porch. Brandon wanted to help his daughter do what she wants to do but he doesn't know how.