Chapter 3

School was finally over for the summer and on Saturday Agetha woke Melanie up super early. "Honey wake up. I have a surprise for you." Agetha said. Melanie groaned then got up. Agetha handed Melanie a blue shirt, jeans and her cowgirl boots. "What is the surprise?" Melanie asked. "Well, it wouldn't be a surprise if I told you." Agetha said.  Agetha and Melanie headed outside. "Go get Maggie and put her in the trailer. I will start the truck." Agetha said. Melanie was confused but she did what her mom told her to do. Melanie got Maggie and loaded her into the trailer. Melanie hoped in the truck and they drove off. About ten minutes later they arrived at a ranch. Melanie looked out the window and saw people outside doing barrels. She also saw some horses. Agetha parked the car and got out. "Mom why are we here?" Melanie asked. "You are going to take classes to help you get better at barrel racing. It lasts Mondays to Fridays every week through out the summer. You even enter shows and competitions. Isn't that amazing?" Agetha replied. "Yeah, great." Melanie said. Melanie was angry. She didn't want to barrel race anymore. "Get Maggie out and follow me." Agetha said. Melanie sighed and got Maggie out of the trailer. She followed Agetha to a tall women with short brown hair that was in braids. She was wearing a stripe top, jeans and cowgirl boots with pink on them. Agetha hugged the lady and pulled Melanie over. "Melanie, this is Donna. She taught me to barrel race and now she is going to teach you." Agetha explained. Oh gees! Melanie thought. "Hi." Melanie said in shyness. Melanie is often very shy. She gets it from her dad. "Hey there. You want to tack up your horse and show me what you can do?" Donna asked. Melanie nodded but in the back of her mind she did not want to do it. Donna showed her where Melanie can tack up Maggie. "Come outside when you are done." Donna said and went back to Agetha. Melanie sighed then started to groom Maggie. Soon Maggie was all groomed then Melanie tacked her up. "Let's go girl." Melanie said with a sigh. Melanie led Maggie outside and met up with her mom and Donna. "Alright, get mounted up and show us what you can do." Donna said. Melanie got onto Maggie and walked her around for a few minutes. Then Melanie circled and they headed towards the barrels. "Isn't she amazing?" Agetha asked Donna. "She is indeed. She is born to do this." Donna replied. Melanie and Maggie came around the final barrel and raced home. "Whoa girly." Melanie said. "That was amazing. Are you ready to join the team?" Donna asked. Melanie nodded and sighed quietly. "Can you explain to me how this will work. Do I stay here through the week? Do I come back everyday?" Melanie asked. "So you will keep Maggie here through out the week. We will feed and water her. You will come in muck out her stall, groom her, tack her up then ride her outside with the group. I will teach the lessons. You have to get here at 6:30" Donna explained. "Okay." Melanie replied. Melanie untacked Maggie and put her in a new stall. "Bye girl. I will see you on Monday. I will miss you. I love you." Melanie whispered to Maggie. Maggie put her head in Melanie's arms and they both let out a sigh. "Come on Mel! It is time to go!" Agetha shouted from outside the barn. Melanie gave Maggie one last pat and headed out the barn. "See you on Monday, Melanie." Donna said. Melanie waved and gave a weak smile then hoped in the truck with her mom. Agetha put the truck in drive and they headed home. "So, what did you think?" Agetha asked. "It was good. I am...excited...to start with the team." Melanie lied. She didn't want to let her mom down. "I am so excited to see you grow as a barrel racer. You are born for it." Agetha said. "I wish I was born to jump." Melanie mumbled. Agetha didn't hear Melanie but she could tell she was upset. They arrived home and you could hear Melanie's dog barking. Her dog was a beagle named Sparky. He was the sweetest dog. Melanie unhooked her seat belt and went inside the house. Sparky jumped into Melanie's arms and licked her face. Melanie giggled then kissed him. Melanie then went up stairs and onto the internet. She saw that Amanda had a Facebook about her journey in jumping. Melanie immediately sent her a friend request hoping she would accept it.Melanie then went onto Youtube and watched videos of Amanda jumping on her dark bay gelding, Baron. Melanie pictured herself as Amanda and her flying through the coarse. Melanie smiled as she watched Amanda finish the course with no mistakes. If only that could be me Melanie thought. Melanie closed her laptop then went to bed and dreamed all about jumping.