Chapter 19

The next morning, Melanie woke up thinking about Maggie. She was worried to see her. She hated seeing her suffer. Melanie went downstairs and sat at the table. Melanie stared at her breakfast, she couldn't bare to eat at the thought of Maggie. "Come on honey, you have got to eat." Agetha said. "I can't." Melanie replied. "Maggie is fine. I promise." Agetha said. "You don't know that." Melanie said. "Honey, I do know that. Donna would have contacted us if something happened to Maggie." Agetha explained. "Whatever, I am going to go get ready." Melanie said. Even though it was Saturday, the kids were getting an extra day to practice. Melanie grabbed a black shirt that said "cowgirl" on it in pink writing. Then she grabbed her jeans and cowgirl boots then got ready. Melanie brushed her hair and teeth then went downstairs. Melanie went outside and got in the car, anxious to see her horse. They arrived at the barn and Melanie jumped out of the car and walked quickly to go see her horse. She came to Maggie's stall and saw that she was still laying down. "Hey girly. You aren't feeling any better, are you?" Melanie asked softly. Maggie nickered. Melanie walked in and sat next to Maggie. "You will be okay, I promise." Melanie whispered. Donna walked by and stopped by Maggie's stall. "She is still on stall rest. You will be put on a different horse today." Donna said. "I don't want to ride another horse." Melanie snapped. "Then you won't be able to join the lesson." Donna said. "I don't care. I never wanted to barrel race in the first place. My mother forced me to come! If I wouldn't have come, Maggie would be fine." Melanie snapped again. Donna didn't know what to say after that. "I thought you loved barrel racing?" Donna said. "It was an act for my mother. I tried to tell you but I was afraid to." Melanie said. "Why?" Donna asked. "Because, last time I admitted that to someone they got mad at me and we no longer speak to each other." Melanie said. "Well, you at least got to finish this summer out. Come on and I will show you the other horse that you will be riding temporarily." Donna said. "Ugh! No! I am not riding today. I am going home." Melanie snapped. "But your mom just left." Donna said. "That's why there is a thing called walking." Melanie snapped again. Donna rolled her eyes then walked on. "See you later Maggie, I need a break. I promise, I will be back soon." Melanie whispered. Maggie nickered then Melanie walked out of the stall. Melanie wasn't going home, she was going to Green Wood Academy. That was her only escape besides Maggie. Melanie walked to the barn and it didn't take very long. "What are you doing here? Your lesson isn't until tomorrow." Lisa asked as Melanie walked into the barn. "I just needed a break from some things going on in my life." Melanie explained. "Alright, Ii understand." Lisa said. "How's Max?" Melanie asked. "He is doing pretty good, but when you left yesterday he seemed kinda down." Lisa explained. "Can I see him?" Melanie asked. "Of coarse." Lisa replied with a smile. Melanie walked over to see Max. As soon as Max saw Melanie, he pricked his ears up and nickered. He walked over to her. "Hey pretty boy." Melanie whispered as she reached out to pet his muzzle. "He really does love you." Lisa said. Melanie smiled. "He has never been this happy until you came along." Lisa said. "Really?" Melanie asked. "Yeah, he was always super good but he always seemed down. Then when I hired you to exercise him, he was happy. He was like a completely different horse." Lisa explained. Melanie smiled then gave Max a hug. "I love you." Melanie whispered in Max's ear. "You two have something special. It's incredible." Lisa said. "It's incredible. It feels like I have known Max forever." Melanie said. "How's your horse doing?" Lisa asked. Melanie had trouble spitting it out without crying. "She..isn't doing very good. She hasn't been eating and she collapsed yesterday. Now she is on stall rest and I have been worried about her non stop. This is my only escape from all of that." Melanie explained. "I am sorry that happened. I hope she gets better." Lisa said. Melanie put on a weak smile. "I need to go now. My mother is probably looking for me. The lesson I am supposed to be at is almost over." Melanie said. "Alright, see you tomorrow Melanie." Lisa said. Melanie gave Lisa a hug then left. Melanie ran back to the other stable and when she arrived, everyone was looking for her. "Melanie! There you are! Where have you been?!" Agetha yelled in anger.  "I just needed a break from everything. I can't handle everything that's going on with Maggie." Melanie explained. "You left the property. Where did you go?" Agetha asked with her voice getting louder. "Just for a walk." Melanie lied. "Melanie, I wasn't born yesterday. Where did you go?" Agetha asked again. Melanie sighed. "Mom, I am not lying. I just went for a walk. I couldn't stand being here with Maggie being that way. So, I went on a walk to get my mind off of her." Melanie lied. "Alright." Agetha said calming down. Melanie and Agetha got in the car and they drove home in silence. But all Melanie thought about was Maggie and Max. Melanie remembered her and Josie talking about her having two horses. One for jumping and then Maggie just to ride. Melanie thought that if she could have any other horse it would be Max as long as she could keep Maggie. That would be a dream come true.