Chapter 5

"Hurry up, girls." Donna said as the girls were cleaning the stalls. Everyone was slow today including Melanie. They were all work out from yesterday. Melanie finally got done with Maggie's stall and put Maggie on the cross-ties. "I wish I could jump." Melanie mumbled as she groomed Maggie. Josie walked by with her horse and waved at Melanie. "Hey Josie." Melanie said. "Hey. Are you excited to ride today?" Josie asked as she put Smoke on the cross-ties next to Melanie. "I am always excited to ride." Melanie said with a smile. Melanie loved riding more than anything but she just wanted to do another discipline or at least try. Soon Melanie was done grooming and tacking up Maggie and led her outside. Josie came right behind Melanie. They mounted their horses and warmed them up. About fifteen minutes later, Donna walked into the arena. "Alright girls, get lined up." Donna demanded. The girls lined up and were ready to listen. "Today, we are going to work on our turns. Some of you turned way too wide. I think some of you are just afraid of hitting the barrel which is completely okay. But in order to get enough speed you have to turn around the barrel just right." Donna explained. "Sabrina, how about you demonstrate for us today?" Donna asked. "Okay." Sabrina replied. They were off faster then you could blink. "See how she is turning around the barrel? That is what you girls need to do." Donna said. Sabrina came back up to Donna after her amazing round with a grin. "Great job, Sabrina." Donna said. Sabrina went back in the line feeling amazing about herself. She was practically bragging in her head. "Melanie, you ready?" Donna asked. Melanie nodded and put Maggie at the starting point. They were off quickly and went around the barrels perfectly. She came around the final barrel and slowed down. Donna and the rest of the girls except for Sabrina were applauding. "Melanie, that was amazing. You are really born for this." Donna said. Melanie sighed and went back to the line. "What is wrong, Mel?" Josie asked. When Josie called her Mel she thought of Mya. Melanie missed Mya a lot. She wished she never told Mya or they would still be friends. She didn't dare want to tell Josie. She couldn't bare losing another good friend. "Um, nothing. I am just tired." Melanie lied. "Oh okay." Josie said. "Josephine, you ready to try?" Donna asked. Josie smiled and nodded. They went around the first two barrels really well and she was doing everything right but as she came around the final barrel she lost her stirrup and slid off. One of the stirrups were caught on her foot and Smokey dragged her. Donna got Smokey to stop and helped Josie. Melanie quickly dismounted Maggie and ran over to Josie as she lay on the ground. They didn't hear a cry or anything. "Please tell me she is okay." Melanie said to Josie. "I don't know Melanie." Donna replied. Josie started to open her eyes and as soon as she did pain shot through her arm. Josie started crying really bad. "We have to take her to the hospital. Her arm might be broken. Melanie go call her parents." Donna said. "I don't know their number." Melanie replied. "The information is by the phone. I keep your parents' numbers by the phone. Go call now." Donna demanded. Melanie ran into the office to find the phone. She quickly dialed Josie's parents and they answered quickly. 

Josie's mom: Hello? 

Melanie: Hey, my name is Melanie. I am Josie's friend. She fell off Stormy and was dragged. We think her arm might be broken." 

Josie's mom: Oh my goodness! I will be there in no time! I live right down the block. 

Melanie: Okay please hurry. I am worried about her. 

Josie's mom: I will hurry, trust me. 

---------------------------Hangs up-------------- 

Melanie ran back out to tell Donna what Josie's mother said. "She will be here soon. She is on her way now." Melanie said to Donna. Donna nodded as she hugged Josie."I want her to be here now!" Josie cried. "She is almost here, Josie." Melanie said to Josie trying to calm her down. Josie started to calm down a little bit but she still cried. "Josephine, can you move your arm?" Donna asked. Josie tried to move her arm but as soon as she tried the pain shot through again and she screamed. Soon Josie's mom arrived and ran over to Josie. Josie's mom picked Josie up and took her to the car. Donna got in the car with them. "Can I come?" Melanie asked. "No, go take Maggie and Stormy back in." Donna replied. "I want Melanie to come. She is my best friend." Josie said. Melanie smiled when she said that. "Alright, Melanie can you tell Sabrina to take Maggie and Stormy in. She is right there." Donna pointed at near the barn. Melanie sighed and went over to her. "Sabrina, Donna wants you to take Maggie and Stormy in." Melanie explained. "Fine, since I am Donna's favorite after all." Sabrina said as she whipped her hair towards her back. Melanie rolled her eyes then went to the car and hopped in. Melanie looked out the window and day dreamed about her on an equestrian team where everyone was nice to her. She pictured her jumping on her dream horse. Then her mom being proud of her. "Melanie!" Donna yelled. Melanie quickly snapped out of her day dream and back into reality. "What?" Melanie asked. "We are here." Donna said. Josie's mom carried Josie into the hospital and Melanie walked with Donna. Josie was quickly rushed into a room and checked on. Melanie and Donna waited in the waiting room. "So, do you like it at the barn?" Donna asked trying to get their minds off Josie. "Yeah.." Melanie lied. "It doesn't seem like it." Donna said. Melanie shrugged and sighed. "To be honest.. I love the barn but....I...don't want to....barrel race." Melanie tried to explain. Melanie was nervous about telling Donna that because she didn't want Donna to get angry like Mya did. "Why Melanie? You are amazing at it." Donna asked. "I don't know. It is not my passion. My mom made me do it when I was younger. Now I want to try a different sport. I really want to jump but my mom won't let me." Melanie explained. Donna was about to reply until she got interrupted. "Josie will be alright but her arm is broken. So give it a few weeks before she rides again." The doctor explained. "Alright, thank you." Donna said and got up to go see Josie. Melanie followed Donna into a little room where Josie was wearing a cast. "Hey guys." Josie's mom said. Donna sat down next to her. "Are you alright?" Melanie asked Josie. "Yeah, I should be fine. I will miss riding though..." Josie replied. "I would too. Is there anything I can do to help you out these next few weeks?" Melanie asked willingly. "Well, Smokey has to be exercised. Could you please ride him while I am gone?" Josie asked. Melanie nodded and gave Josie a hug. Melanie felt like she finally had a friend who accepted her for who she was. Melanie missed her best friend, Mya, more than anything but maybe God has another plan for her.