Chapter 22

It was the weekend and Maggie was doing a lot better. Melanie was able to ride her again. So, Agetha talked to Lisa and Melanie will have her lessons everyday and she no longer has to pay for them. Melanie woke up at 7:30am and ate toast. She wanted enough time to ride Maggie before her lesson. Melanie quickly got dressed then brushed her hair and teeth. Melanie's lesson wasn't until 11:30 so Melanie did have some time to ride Maggie. Melanie went outside and greeted her horse. "Hey girly, are you ready for your morning ride?" Melanie asked. Maggie nickered. Melanie grabbed her halter then led Maggie to the cross ties. Melanie decided to ride bareback. She didn't feel like handling the western saddle, especially since there isn't really anything she can do with it anymore. Melanie put Maggie's bridle on then led her out to the field. Melanie mounted on Maggie and they rode around the field having a blast. Melanie was smiling the whole time. Melanie loved being back on her horse. "Good girl." Melanie said. About half an hour later her mother called. "Melanie, start getting ready to go." Agetha said. Melanie slowed Maggie down then dismounted. Melanie led Maggie back to the barn and put her in her stall. Melanie took the bridle off then closed the stall door then she went inside. Melanie was excited for her lesson. It was her mother's first time coming. A few minutes later they were out the door. Agetha was excited to see her daughter ride. This time Agetha realized that it will be more enjoyable because her daughter actually enjoys it. They arrived and Melanie went to greet Lisa and Max. "Hi Melanie, how are you?" Lisa asked as Melanie walked into the barn. "I am good. I am very excited for this lesson! How's Max?" Melanie asked. "He's doing very good. He missed you though." Lisa said. Shortly after that, Agetha walked in. "Hello, as you probably already know. I am Melanie's mother." Agetha said feeling awkward from how she acted last time. "It's nice to meet you. I am Lisa." Lisa said. "I am Agetha." Agetha said. Melanie went to greet Max as Lisa and Agetha continued talking. "Hey boy." Melanie said softly. Max pricked his ears forward and nickered. Melanie smiled then gave him a kiss. "Go ahead and tack him up Melanie." Lisa instructed. Melanie nodded then led Max to the cross ties. She started grooming him and as she was grooming him, her mother walked over. "Who is this beautiful guy?" Agetha asked. "This is Max. He is very sweet. I love him so much." Melanie replied. Agetha smiled then patted Max's shoulder. Soon, Melanie started tacking up then led him to the arena. Agethha got nervous as Melanie mounted Max. Melanie started warming up Max and it was going very well. A few minutes later, Melanie started working on posting. Max was listening to Melanie very well. He had his ears facing towards her, listening to everything Melanie asks him to do. "Very good Melanie. Your posting is getting better already. Go ahead and canter." Lisa instructed. Melanie squeezed Max's sides and he went to the canter immediately. "Good boy." Melanie said with a smile. Melanie could not get over on how smooth Max's canter was. It felt like she was on a cloud. "Very nice. Now slow him down to a walk and we're going to work on two-pointing." Lisa instructed. Melanie nodded then slowed Max down to a walk. "Alright, a two-point is when you lean forward right before a jump. You will stand up in your stirrups, lift your bum up just slightly and put your hands slightly forward. Go ahead and try." Lisa explained. Melanie nodded and attempted two-pointing. She did good for her first time. "Very good for your first time." Lisa said. "Now, walk over this small cross rail and try two-pointing. Just at a walk." Lisa instructed. Melanie nodded then walked towards the cross rail. She did a two-point and went over the jump. The timing was just a little off but Melanie was still learning. "Good." Lisa said. Melanie gave Max a pat. "Good boy." Melanie said softly. Soon, Melanie's lesson was over. Melanie was sad to end the lesson but she knew she would come back tomorrow. Melanie dismounted then untacked Max. She led him to his stall then ran into her mom talking to Lisa. "Are you ready to go, honey?" Agetha asked. "Yes mom." Melanie replied. Melanie and Agetha climbed into the car and drove home. "What did you think?" Melanie asked. "Honey, you did amazing. I'm very sorry that I forced you to do something that you didn't enjoy. I can finally see the joy you have." Agetha said. Melanie smiled. "Thank you mom, for letting me do this." Melanie said. "No problem, honey." Agetha said with a smile.