Chapter 5 - Window-washing

It was a cold Tuesday morning, and I was not excited to go to school. I know, you're probably thinking to yourself, "Erica you finally made a friend apart from Alex, you should be excited to get to know her!". And I was. I was very excited to get to know her, because for me, getting to know new people was always exciting, and i loved the thrill i got out of peoples deepest, darkest secrets. but there was something a little off putting about Genie, though I enjoyed her company, and her beautiful green eyes, there was something about her that was just not right. I couldn't really judge her off of her character from yesterday, so I just gave her the benefit of the doubt. My mother was still 100% bickering about the anonymous call she got yesterday, and honestly, I couldn't blame her. I would have acted the same if I got a weird call from an anonymous number that my Nigerian daughter that just arrived in London was already skipping classes. But she should just trust me. even though, based on my current movement that I feel like she can trace, its understandable why she wouldn't now. "Folake!!! Come Downstairs right now!"she called, with a very projected voice. "Maami! I am coming now! let me finish getting ready!" I said, as I rushed into the bathroom and had a quick, speedy shower. afterwards I put on no lotion, neither did I brush my teeth. I just put on my bodysuit and my uggs, with my over-sized sweater. I was halfway downstairs when I realized I was wearing no underwear, but it was too late for that. "Folake sit down right now, and talk to me about the content of the anonymous call I got yesterday, because I am your mother, and you are my child. I gave you this breast omo mi, don't lie to me". "MAAMI, HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU, I DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS USELESS ANONYMOUS CALL YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT O! MAAMI! MAAMI! DON'T TEST ME TODAY O! I'M NOT IN THE MOOD!" I said, screaming at her. Yes I was lying. but why does she keep pestering me? after all, Alex screams at his parents with no repercussion, so why should I be afraid? "IS IT ME YOU ARE TALKING TO LIKE THAT? FOLAKE, WO NI RẸ O!" (WATCH YOURSELF). I was so done with her bullshit at this point. "o mọ kini, emi yoo rin si ile-iwe! Mo ko ni akoko fun nyin fucking nonsense owurọ yii" (you know what, ill walk to school! I do not have time for your fucking nonsense this morning) I said, stomping my feet through the door and hissing. I always spoke Yoruba involuntarily when I was boiling with anger.  My mother kept calling for my name over and over and over again, and I just kept walking. I could hear my father shouting at her in the background, but I didn't care. I didn't even know the way to school by walking, but I was sure as hell not going back there. as I was walking I got a text from alex. "stop where you are. why are you walking to school?"he texted. Was he stalking me? he lived about 30 mins away from where I lived, and the way to school was nowhere near my area. what could he possibly be doing here? was he going to pop up at my house? im glad he didnt, becuase that would have just added fuel to the consuming fire. Anyway, as I saw the text, I just stopped, like an obedient child. he was one of the main reasons I was in this mess, but he was just so damn sexy and seducing, I couldn't resist. I was still mad at him regardless, though. I waited for about 20 seconds till I saw his classic white Mercedes Benz pull over at the side walk. "get in, and explain to me why you're on the road by yourself in fucking east London, Erica", he said, with an angry but concerned face. "Now I appreciate you looking out for me, but i'm not a baby. ill walk to school, its not that far from here". I lied. I wanted nothing more than to get in his car and talk to him about what happened this morning. "Erica, just get in the fucking car, before I have to come out tackle you in here" he said, with a slight wheeze, as if to let me know that he knew that i was just being stubborn. I got in and buckled my seat belt.

"What? how is that possible? no one could have had your mothers number other than the reception! and I made extra sure you were marked present in all your classes before i even sent you the text. Also, the reception would never call with an unknown, anonymous number! that's bloody strange!" he said, really heated. you could tell he was angry, as he turned red and his tone changed completely. He sounded as though he felt like he had failed me and was the cause of me and my mothers dispute. And he was. Partly. "its okay Alex, ill resolve myself once I get home, but for now we need to be careful what we say and do and where". "FUCKING HELL!" He exclaimed. I tried my best to calm him down, but to be honest, seeing him that angry over my case turned me on a little bit. We arrived at school,and I thanked Alex for the ride, giving him the warmest hug ever, and not just because it was cold that day. Alex always smelt exquisite, like he bathed in his versace perfume. He was only wearing a tight t shirt and joggers, but they looked and felt expensive. just as I was walking to the schools interior, I saw Emily talking to Oliver, and as soon as I walked by, Emily immediately started making out with him aggressively, almost biting his face off. "Hey look, its the bitch with the big arse who wants my man" she said, looking at me from top to bottom. "no, I grabbed her arse myself, but i'm sure she enjoyed it" he said, giving me the most disgusting wink ever. I felt myself throw up in my mouth. just as he said that, completely and fortunately, the time coincided with the time Alex was walking by, and he looked back, almost breaking his neck. "WHOS ARSE DID YOU GRAB OLIVER? WHOS ARSE?" he asked, basically yelling at the top of his lungs. "That bitch behind you. check out the size of her arse! its glorious". I was absolutely mortified at this point, and I knew exactly what was about to happen, so i was already mentally preparing myself for it. "THAT 'BITCH' HAPPENS TO BE MY FRIEND, SO DON'T YOU EVER FUCKING....FUCKING DEMEAN HER WITH ANY NAMES, OR SEXUALLY HARASS HER! THIS HAS GONE ON WAY TOO FUCKING LONG OLIVER, YOU'RE...."and before Alex could finish his sentence, Oliver threw a punch. luckily Alex missed, but what he was not ready to miss was the opportunity to disgrace his big brother, who's shadow he had lived in long enough. "YOU BLOODY BASTARD! I HATE EVERY LAST INCH OF YOU FROM YOUR HEAD TO YOUR TOES. YOU'VE RUINED EVERYTHING FOR ME MY WHOLE LIFE, AND NOW THAT SOMEONE ACTUALLY CARES ABOUT ME FOR ME YOU WANT TO LEAVE A BAD NAME IN HER HEAD ABOUT ME! FUCK YOU....FUCK YOU!" he said, punching him after each syllable. I didn't know what to do, because I was just so scared, so I just fell to the floor and cried. Immediately I started crying, Alex abandoned the fight completely to come to my aid. "Are you okay, Erica? why didn't you tell me about what my brother did? I would have roughed him the fuck up at home" he said, kneeling down, looking at me. Why did no body break up this fight? I could have sworn I saw officials just pass by and stare at the whole ordeal. wasn't this school meant to be non tolerant to such? Regardless, Alex was a mess. His right fist was completely messed up and blood was oozing from it. "Leave Erica, I can't afford to get you into trouble right now. Don't be stubborn, just leave, please". He had that broken voice again, and I knew he would shed actual tears this time, but he told me to leave, so I just left, crying on my way to class.