10- The 'Phone' call.

10— The 'Phone' call.

“Nowadays pain isn't present in tears. It is present in smiles.”

—Saumya Tripathi 

"I will have to phone my uncle first thing first as soon as I can to let him know about my location.  Immediately at that. But before that I better get out of here first and right away," I crammed, agreeing to myself. I better get going.

Oh god! Let him be safe. Let him be safe. Closing my eyes, I prayed for my old uncle desperately for his well-being. Perplexed as I was I tried to avert my mind from my desperate turmoils that actually were clouding my sense of thinking rationally. 

Crying never helped anyone. Had it? No! It never had. Then, how come it will now? Why would it? It will not. Crying will never help me in getting away. Now, will it? No, it shall not. Never had. Never will. Crying won't let me out of this place. And papa also never would have allowed me to cry like this; like a vulnerable child in any situation. Such as this very perilous condition. I nodded, staunchly. I repeatedly agreed on the same sentences while chanting in different ways. 

"You're my strong, little woman. Never cry when you tend to face problems in life. Hardships are what make you stronger and more experienced as they are part of your deeds. Always try to face problems with a rational mind. Do not, my child, stray away from the problems otherwise they will keep coming for you with bigger challenges, indeed. The more you will escape from the problems, the easier they will chase you," he always used to articulate that. "Cowardice dies many times but valiant tastes death once."

"I will face the problems valiantly, Papa!" I promised. "I would!" Taking a deep breath, I exhaled. The conversation between us came alive when my psyche all of a sudden flashed back to the previous scenario.

"Listen, go anywhere you want, but try not to be present or stay in the same place more than an hour or two for a few days," and on cue ma'am said, interrupting me from my horrendous as well as past visualisation. 

After her explicit sentence, I nodded at her, understandably. She hummed in response with a curt nod. We stared.

Silence.

And after a movement of silence with some quiet hesitation; finally gathering my courage I said,

"Thank you, ma'am," I told her as I really was thankful to her. Peeking at her. "I would have never done this without you," and for the first time since I was brought here, I saw her lips curving upwards into a very slow but genuine smile. 

I smiled back at her meekly.

"Okay, now go," she pronounced, softly now. Her voice was soft and sweet for the first time. My heart swelled with emotions unknown.  

"Go!"

Before twirling around on the way to my destination, I smiled at her one last time. Then, fleeing away hastily, I searched for the street light and saw it almost instantly. And as she had mentioned, a taxi of yellow colour with blue stripes was awaiting us, just a few yards away in the corner, hidden in the dark from the lighting street.

Sauntering in haste, I exhaled a sigh that was of full contentment, and I proceeded. 

Finally, I was free. 

My eyes brimmed with tears at the anticipation of going back home. Kissing the side of my brother's head, I walked up to the stilled vehicle; assuming it was the haired cab she was mentioning about. By reaching, I knocked twice, softly on the driver's window while glancing back over my shoulder for any intruder. When I found none I exhaled from my nose. And just after a few seconds, the window was rolled down by a man who I presumed was the driver; and he asked, "Yes, child? May I help you?" His tone was gentle but astonished, however. The driver was an old man. Perhaps in his mid-fifties along with a few wrinkles claiming on his face making him look older than he probably was. With soft and warm eyes and a tan complexion with a protruding belly. I noticed.

"Uncle, can you please take us to the railway station," I probed, politely. With a voice in an abandoned tone. But hastily, keeping the situation in mind.

"Yes, yes my child. Please come sit! I was just waiting for you. I was asked to drive you up to the station;" stopping amidst his sentence his eyes flickered from me to my brother over my arms before returning to me again. "I mean both of you, my child, go sit!" he stated, politely, starting the car with a twist of the keys. He ignited the car while I nodded at him. Unsteadily, opening the back door with quite a difficulty considering a toddler in my hands. I sat in the backseat, cradling Shaurya's sleeping form to my chest, carefully. And as on cue, the car started moving, then accelerated without stopping. I sighed, softly. Choosing to look at the back through the window, I saw the place I had been kept, diminishing from my sight and finally disappearing. We sat silently. After a few minutes of pregnant silence, the driver uncle spoke; "Don't worry, my child I will drop you off soon enough. But it would take some time as this place is on the outskirts of the city and you would probably get tired, eventually. I would instruct you to sleep, child. It would be overwhelming for you. I will wake you up when we are reached," glancing from the rearview mirror in my way, the driver's uncle insisted, smiling warmly. 

I shook my head a little, somewhat disoriented at him. "Thank you uncle but I am fine," I protested but replied to him nevertheless at his generosity.

With a brief nod and worried glance at me one last time. He proceeded in his driving.

I was too done up, too nervous, too overwhelmed, and too distraught to even think about anything besides going back home to my worried uncle and my home— to my parent's memorial abode.

We sat silently after that. Silence envelops us in its proximity.

“I will finally be home.”

                                                                ________×________

__________________________________

Capo: underboss.

Sup, guys?
How are you, all?
Hope you all doing good!
So, how is the chapter?
Worth your time and patience?
I hope yes.

Vote,
Comment,
And,
Share,
if you do, because it means a lot for writers like us!❤

Thank you,
Your story teller,
Saumya!

•••

GOING SOMEWHERE?
SWIPE UP!
THERE IS AN ANOTHER UPDATE!

SURPRISE! ❤