8

(Benjamin's pov)

"Is everything ready for the strike?" My father asked.

"Yes, sir. I sent out ten warriors ahead of the strike. We were given the signal to carry on the mission."

"Good," he said as we exited the manor.

"Are you sure you want to carry out this mission?" I asked as I joined the rest of my team.

"Of course I'm sure. You're not going soft on me, are you?" He asked, giving me a questioning look.

"Of course not."

"Then why ask me such a question?" He asked.

"I just don't have a good feeling about this mission is all."

"Yes, well, we're not in this for feelings now, are we? Just go out there and do your job."

My father turned his back towards me before he walked back into the manor. Sighing, I turned my back towards the manor as the pit in my stomach just kept gnawing at me.

For once, I wish he would listen to me. He was such a stubborn man, though.

"You heard the boss. Let's go," I said as we began the long journey.

________________________________________________________________________________________

“Lets set up camp for the night,” I said. We’ve been traveling for four days now. I could tell it was taking a toll on some of the men I brought with me.

Most of them were new. They weren’t used to long, grueling journeys such as this. We’ve been traveling during the day, sleeping at night. Most of us could use our abilities or powers if you want to call them that, but if we use up all of our energy doing that, then it would be over for us if we ran into trouble.

We needed to save all the strength we could. The people who resided in the Silver Moon castle weren’t to be taken lightly. Arabella had nothing but strength behind her. She was one of those people you didn’t want to be your enemy and, sadly, she was ours.

I reached up to my throat, running my hand over the prominent scar she had left on me years ago. If it hadn’t been for my father healing my wounds, I would be dead now. I hadn't been able to speak for almost a year, thanks to Arabella slicing my neck open, damaging my vocal cords. I was able to talk now, but my voice was a lot raspier than it used to be. My vocal cords could only be repaired so much.

I couldn’t really be mad at her, though. I am the one who was hired to assassinate her, so she was justified in her actions. I had been a hitman when I was a little younger. People came to me when they needed someone six feet under. I was good at my job, I still am, but there’s always someone better than you out there, and Arabella was just that.

Let's just say that when my father found out about it he wasn't happy. That was the day that my father finally sat down with me and told me the truth about Oliver and I being half brothers.

He also told me about how Arabella was my mother. To say I felt terrible about attempting to kill my own mother was an understatement. That was around the time that I came to work with my father.

“Sir, aren’t you going to bed?” Augustus asked.

“Hmm?”

“Aren’t you tired?”

“I’m going to stay up a little longer, go on and get some sleep. We have a long day ahead of us,” I said as he nodded his head at me before going into his tent.

Sighing, I looked up to the dark sky, watching as a shooting star soared across the sky.

“Gonna be a long day,” I muttered under my breath as I went into my own tent, dreading the fact that in a few short hours, the sun will rise again.

________________________________________________________________________________________

We were almost at the southeast corner of the Silver Moon territory when the scent of blood filled my lungs. A few feet away from me, I could see the corpses of the wolves I had deployed early on.

Before I could tell my team to stop, a flaming arrow flew past me and plunged into Augustus’s chest. Augustus's body was quickly engulfed in flames as two more flaming arrows flew by, hitting Jim and Waylon.

"Benjamin." I heard from behind me. I quickly spun around to see who had said my name.

"It’s you. You bastard!" I said.

"Just shut it, you dammed brat," the man said before everything went black.