23

(Ezekiel's pov)

"Father, you wanted to see me?" I asked as I walked further into the family room.

"Please close the door behind you," my father said.

I closed the wooden door before joining my father on the sofa.

"Is everything alright?" I asked

"How long are you going to try to keep Oliver a secret?" My father asked.

I tensed at his words. There's no way he could know everything. Right?

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

It wasn't as if I didn't want anyone to know about Oliver. It was just. That it was still so new to. Us, we were still figuring things out.

My father cut me a look that said 'you better quit lying to me or else'. I tensed even more in my seat at his intense gaze.

"Hmm, so I was right then," father said.

"I," was all I could get out. I honestly didn't know what to say.

"How long were you planning to not tell me?"

"Honestly, I don't know," I said.

"Father, please don't tell anyone, especially Lady Arabella," I begged.

"I won't tell anyone. You have my word," my father said, reassuring me.

"But they probably know by now that he's bonded with someone. How long do you two plan on trying to hide this from everyone?"

"We've been trying to get to know each other better. How did you know, though?"

"I've been told that you and Oliver have been spending a lot of time together, also your scent has changed," my father stated.

"Isn't it wrong though?" I asked.

"What is?"

"Oliver and I, weren't we supposed to be mated to women? That's the way it's been for centuries?"

That thought has been running through my head ever since I laid eyes on Oliver. Sighing, father stood from the sofa. He walked across the family room, stopping once he was in front of a bookshelf that held hundreds of old books.

My father reached up, grabbing a thick leather-bound book, he opened the book flipping through it till he found what he was looking for.

"Four thousand years ago, the Gods decided to change some of the laws when it came to the mating process, not just for us wolves but for everyone," father stated as he handed the book to me.

I looked down at the book to see old testament's scribbled across the pages, no doubt the original copy.

"The world was in a time of war when they changed things. We were losing men and women left and right. You see, mates of the same gender are very rare. They're also very powerful."

"What do you mean?" I asked, feeling confused.

"The reason they changed the mating laws is that when the war was going on, two women had been accused of being mate's, turns out it was true, but they later found out how strong they were together."

"So you're telling me that I would've been powerful if I had been mated to a woman, but since I'm mated to Oliver, I'm even more powerful than I would've been?"

I couldn't process all of this. I understood what my father was saying to me, but at the same time, I couldn't believe the words that were coming out of his mouth.

"Exactly. What you and Oliver have is a rarity almost, especially with him being a hybrid. You two could be unstoppable."

All I could do was just sit there, taking in my father's words. So if what my father said was true, Oliver and I were put together for a reason, but for what reason?

"So you're saying that the God's made it this way because they were using same gender mate's as weapons?"

"Yes, and if another war ever broke out again, then well, history would repeat itself," father said.

"Is that all we're good for, then?" I said, as a feeling of sadness filled me.

"Of course not, son."

Father took a seat beside me, giving my hand a reassuring squeeze.

"Oliver is your other half. The moon goddess makes no mistakes when it comes to mates. So cherish every moment you have with him. I wish I would've taken the time to step back from work and spent more time with your mother before that night."

I watched as my father wore a saddened expression, an expression that I had never seen on his face before.

"Father?"

"Yes?"

"Why won't you let me help you?"

I hated the fact that my father had to live every day with heartbreak. Once someone loses their mate, it's as if someone had ripped out their heart. Some have been known to die from a broken heart.

I was born with a rare ability to heal broken hearts. When I learned about my abilities, the first person that came to mind was my father. My father had never expressed his heartache to me, but I could see it. His eyes bared a sadness that never left.

"I loved your mother with everything in me," he stated.

"I know you do. I just want to see you happy. It kills me to see how much you mourn her on your own."

"I don't want to love anyone else besides your mother."

His eyes filled with tears as he quickly turned away from me so that I couldn't see him break down. As Alphas, we're taught to never let our weaknesses be seen. A weak alpha was a bad one.

"She wouldn't want you to do this to yourself, father."

"I don't want to dis-,"

But I cut him off before he could finish.

"You don't want to discuss this anymore, yeah I know that's what you always say," I said, sighing as I closed the book handing it back to my father.

"Son please."

"If you ever change your mind, you know where to find me."

I stood from the sofa and made my way over to the wooden door.

"Mother wouldn't want you suffering like this. I know you're scared that if I heal you, then you'll find a new mate, but even if you do, you won't be replacing her. No one can."

And with that, I left, leaving my father in the family room. I made over to the hallway, where my room was at, when I was only a few feet from my room, I picked up on a scent, and not just any scent either. It was Oliver. Why was I picking up Oliver's scent?

I opened my bedroom door to see Oliver standing in front of my window with his back facing me.

"Oliver, what are you doing here?"

Oliver turned away from the window as he walked across the room and up to me.

"O-Oliver?"

Oliver wrapped his arm's tightly around me, laying his head on my chest.

"I could feel that your stress levels were up."

I slowly relaxed into Oliver's embrace. Tears welled in my eyes as I wrapped my arms tightly around him, as I kissed him on top of his head with my father's words replaying in my mind.

"Oliver is your other half. Cherish every moment you have with him. I wish I would've taken the time to step back from work and spent more time with your mother before that night."

The thought of something happening to Oliver scared me to death. I couldn't bear the thought of losing him.

"J-Just stay p-please," I said as tears fell down my face.

"Always," Oliver said as his grip tightened around me.

If I could stay like this, then I would, just the two of us, like this, forever.