15

(Michael's pov)

"Alpha, may I ask you something?" Bradley asked.

We had just finished a pack meeting. Afterwards we went to my office, finishing up paperwork from earlier.

"What is it?" I asked, looking over at him.

"I know I'm overstepping my boundaries, but well you see there are these stories going around the packhouse about why we don't have a Luna," Bradley said, causing me to tense.

"And you're wondering if they're true or not?"

"Yes, sir," he said, sighing. I looked over to where my Beta was sitting.

"What exactly have you heard?"

"Well, one story is that you haven't found your mate yet, then others say you killed your mate or that they ran away."

"Well, I can assure you that none of those stories are true," I said.

"Then what is the truth?"

"Have I ever told you the story about how I became the Alpha over this pack?"

"No, sir."

"I come from a strong line of alphas. My family has, well, we used to rule over the Blue Rain pack. We were fearless. Other packs would bow down to us," I said, causing his curiosity to grow.

"My pack was gruesomely murdered by hunters one night. You see, my son and I are the sole survivors of my old pack. After the attack, I took my son, and I ran. I kept running until I could find a pack who could help me. One night I was walking through the woods trying to pick up a scent of the nearest pack, but I couldn't find one. The only scent I was able to pick up on was that of vampires. Four vampires came out of nowhere and attacked me. I was trying to fight them off, but I couldn't. Then these two women came out of nowhere and helped me kill them."

"So how did this lead to you becoming Alpha?" Bradley asked, looking confused.

"I had been severely injured, and the two women who had saved me, I later found out, were Arabella and her mother. They talked me into going back to the castle so the doctor could tend to my wound's, later on, her father and I had a talk and after he found out I didn't have a pack, he offered me the position of Alpha," I said, causing Bradley to just stared at me.

"I know you're probably sitting there wondering what this whole story has to do with my mate, aren't you?"

"Yes, sir."

"You see, before the hunters killed my pack, I had a mate. I was married to her, and we had a beautiful child."

"Then what happened to her?"

"She was killed by a vampire a year before the hunters attacked the pack."

"I'm sorry, sir," he said sincerely. "So you mentioned that you have a child?" Bradley asked.

"Yes, you know him, actually."

"I do?"

"Ezekiel is my son," I said, leaving Bradley stunned.

"I think I'm going to retire for the night," I said, cutting the conversation short before Bradley could ask any more questions.

"Oh, of course, sir," Bradley said, standing from his chair.

"Oh and sir," he said from the doorway.

"Yes?"

"I assume you'd like for me to keep this between us?"

"Yes, I'd appreciate that very much," I said. Bradley was about to leave my office before I stopped him.

"By the way Bradley."

"Sir?"

"You can call me Michael. You don't have to be so formal with me all the time."

"Sorry si-," Bradley said before catching himself. "Sorry Michael."

"It's quite alright," I said.

"Goodnight Bradley," I said as I walked towards the door that connected my office to my bedroom.

"Goodnight Michael," Bradley said as he left my office.

I opened the door to my room, walking in as I closed the door behind me. I reached for the hem of my shirt as I pulled my shirt over my head. I bent down, unbuckling my boots before removing them. My trousers soon followed, leaving me as naked as the day I was born.

I walked over to my bed, pulling back my blanket, before getting into bed and pulling the blanket over me. I reached over to the lamp on my bed-side table, putting out the flame, as the room fell into darkness. The only light left was from the full moon.

I rolled over onto my side, closing my eyes, as my enhanced hearing focused on an owl that was right outside my window. A small smile pulled at my lips as I listened to the owl continue to hoot. Martha loved owls. I couldn't help but remember all the restless nights she used to have. She would sit in her rocking chair that sat beside our bedroom window. She would sit there, just rocking back and forth, listening to the owls as she tried to find the will to sleep.

Tears filled my eyes as I reached over, grabbing one of my pillows as I placed it over my head, hoping to drown out the owl, hoping to make the ache in my chest disappear.